Author Topic: Seed weed  (Read 2716 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Seed weed
« on: April 06, 2021, 11:19:36 »
This is definitely growing from seed, but what is it?
Leaves are about 3 cms long at this stage. the stems are slightly hairy and have a pink tinge.
Gardening is the great leveller.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Seed weed
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 11:45:08 »
If it is anything like this, just get it out of the ground, dig, dig, dig until there is no trace at all and hope it isn't what it sounds like, pink hairy stem would worry me.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 12:33:39 »
We have been trying to remember what was growing  in that part of the garden when we moved in. Only Bindweed, Herb robert, Lythrum and a little white thing spring to mind.
so what is your leaf from?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 13:03:50 »
Ssssh, Fallopia japonica. Not being there to see it, I could be just over reacting. We had an infestation on some council land years ago, cannot remember what the juveniles came up like. Totally different from the more mature shoots. It does blow in from seeds.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 14:18:52 »
Definitely not that. There is none anywhere near here and I have seen it before so know what it looks like at all stages of its growth.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 14:33:20 »
Just been identified as baby Garlic Mustard, Jack by the hedgerow. Alliaria petiolaris.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 08:52:36 »
I'll second that... Garlic Mustard. You will know from the smell, the only brassica that smells like garlic! The taste is a bit hot like leaf mustard.. small amount nice in early salads. Even if you don't eat it leave a little as it is the food plant for orange tipped butterflies...

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 15:19:37 »
Thinking back there was a lot of it in this area when we began clearing out the Bindweed and conifers. It is one of the most common weeds in the local hedgerows. Having said that on my morning walk today I found no seedlings near any of the mature plants so not able to compare.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal