Author Topic: Radicchio  (Read 3056 times)

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
Radicchio
« on: March 31, 2021, 12:58:47 »
Monty Don inspired me to plant some radicchio (a free packet of seeds). Now I have some little plants I really don't know what to do with them. Any ideas?
Located in Royston, North Herts.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Radicchio
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 13:23:18 »
In Belgium I could buy plugs of a radicchio called Salade de Vérone which I simply planted, watered and harvested with no fuss.

Here I have only seen plugs of a different variety that needs blanching like Witloof chicory.   I haven't tried it yes as I didn't have space at the time but I'll have 2 new beds this year and now I have found a packet of seeds so really should give it a go.

I found this link which may help you too - https://www.burpee.com/gardenadvicecenter/encyclopedia/vegetables/learn-about-radicchio/encyclopedia__radicchio-article.html

Obxx - Vendée France

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 12:43:47 »
I grew some about 30 years ago and they grew fine.
They were really really bitter - I am not sure if I was supposed to cloche them but I couldn't eat them - they were ok used sparingly in a salad but I had a dozen of the things!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 07:15:09 »
Like BarriedaleNick, I use it sparingly in a mixed salad, mainly for its rather striking splash of deep red veined with white. It’s quite cold hardy and is great overwintered with a bit of protection.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 10:21:39 »
I used it shredded in a mixed leaf salad too but I have a hankering to try it halved or quartered, brushed with olive oil and grilled it on a hot plate.  However, they only sell the red chicon style here so seeds it will be.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal