Author Topic: New trowel recommendations plz  (Read 3501 times)

jesssands

• Acre
New trowel recommendations plz
« on: March 30, 2021, 16:42:27 »
I'd like a good quality trowel. If anyone has any tips please.
I took mine up to the grave yard to plant 5 spare bulbs and I snapped the handle on bulb No1.
Hello again to old members that might remember me here. Greetings to newer people too.
A lot went on in my life for a few years.
I no longer have a garden. I miss it a lot. I also miss the birds and wildlife of my previous home, being more rural.
This year, I have bought tubs and buckets. I'm going to try and grow a few bits and pieces in my small yard. The joys of living in town.. not!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: New trowel recommendations plz
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 17:08:00 »
I have 2 Wolf trowels and find them very strong.  Have had them for years and all they need is a good clean now and again.  They can get a bit rusty if left with wet soil on so I just sand them down and spray with WD40 before putting away and I have even been known to sharpen the edges with a kitchen knife steel.  Mine have a fixed handle but they also do them as part of their multi head system so you can choose the length of the handle to suit you - https://www.worldofwolf.co.uk/categories/multi-change-tools/product/wolf-garten-multi-change-hand-trowel-8cm/LUSM~LUSM

I also have a smarter and more expensive stainless steel, Sneeboer.  I love it but it is not as stainless as they claim so I need to clean and treat that too and it has a wooden handle which means I can spend ages hunting for it if I put it down on the soil.  Not a problem for you I should think.  I like it because it has a flat, vaguely heart shaped blade which is great for weeding and planting on my knees but not for scooping compost or soil into or out of planting holes and pots.
Obxx - Vendée France

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 08:35:16 »
I can't remember the name of the brand but I have a hand fork and trowel at the allotment with a bright orange plastic handle.
It helps when you miss lay them as I do several times every day. That said the trowel is still hiding somewhere! I've still got the CK brand I was bought for my 21st birthday. Though one handle has had to be replaced they are still going strong.

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 10:13:20 »
I garden on clay and have mursered many a trowl by snapping its neck, i have taken to buying only trowls whose handle and spade trowel bit are a solid fused set up ie thepace between the handle and neck are very short, and the post is inserted  all the way into the handle . my favorite and the one that seems to stand up best to my clay garden is the Lidl Florabest one which cost £5. but im not sure if they will have them again. the down side is they have a black handle and i am forever lossing them but they dont carode sotthats another bonus.
Nora
Norf London

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 11:24:26 »
Cheap and cheerful for me, lost quite a few over the years, but at the moment I am up to 4 as I have just sieved my compost heap and 2 turned up.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 20:43:08 »
I turned my compost heap and found my missing potato peeler!

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 07:33:05 »
I can't remember the name of the brand but I have a hand fork and trowel at the allotment with a bright orange plastic handle.
It helps when you miss lay them as I do several times every day. That said the trowel is still hiding somewhere! I've still got the CK brand I was bought for my 21st birthday. Though one handle has had to be replaced they are still going strong.

Found the orange handled one  :icon_cheers:

jesssands

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 19:34:06 »
Just a little update on the trowel purchase. I looked online at all the above but in the end I got the never bend one from screw fix.. £10.99 its sturdy and good enough for me and my tubs. And the odd trip to the grave yard.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal