Allotment Stuff > The Basics

One line questions / One line answers

<< < (6/12) > >>

gray1720:
You only need to put your first home-grown cauli into salt water to realise why pesticides were adapted so readily!

Obelixx:
I know, and I don't get decent firm curds either so clearly need to improve my techniques - or just keep buying the organic ones.  Don't eat many anyway.

Tee Gee:

--- Quote ---I don't get decent firm curds
--- End quote ---

In general terms, there are two things that I found to be essential:

1)The Variety

2) The firmness of the soil they are being planted in!

I never dug the soil just prior to planting, I preferred to do my soil preparation in the autumn, this way I found my light soil firmed up nicely over the winter months, and I only needed to form a hole where each plant was planted.

I usually used a bulb planter to do this.

If I were planting out late plantings eg Autumn & Spring cropping varieties as a follow-on crop, I would just tidy up the surface of the bed rake in a fertiliser and plant out as described before!

oops! I used more than one line for my answer....Sorry! :angel11:

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: Obelixx on June 08, 2021, 13:20:28 ---There were also five long rows of potatoes and 3 of shallots, all looking strong and healthy but all a very strange bright blue.

--- End quote ---

Sounds like Bordeaux mixture.  There was a recent topic where it was discussed at some length.  Effective against fungal diseases.  It is not a product I use myself, but there were good arguments that used with care and in moderation it was not nearly as harmful as many modern agro chemicals.

Obelixx:
Nothing moderate about the intensity of blue powder on these plants!   Something I've seen sold here is a concoction of horsetail to dilute and use as a fungicide.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version