Author Topic: One line questions / One line answers  (Read 23292 times)

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
One line questions / One line answers
« on: March 29, 2021, 12:10:06 »
Many of the topics discussed here make good reading, the discussions are interesting and often wide ranging. Long may it continue. I really enjoy the diversity of views and am astonished by how often I learn something completely new.

But I wonder if a thread dedicated to quick answers to quick questions would also be useful. To me it seems a bit excessive to start a whole new topic just to ask if Morrisons have currently got any fruit bushes for sale. The quick questions could just stack up under the same topic, and the new questions just get a new label on the home page.

So here goes.

My celeriac have germinated really well, but compared to most years they are quite leggy.  When I prick out into small pots can I bury the stem (similar to tomatoes) down to the point at which the first main leaves emerge? 

Hmmmm. That's more than one line.  Curses!!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Re: One line questions / One line answers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 12:28:20 »
I do! :toothy10: :toothy10: :toothy10:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 12:51:01 »
Can't grow celeriac here.  Too dry.   Can't help, sorry.  How are you going to let everyone know there's a simple question/simple answer thread?

Obxx - Vendée France

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2021, 13:12:08 »
Can't grow celeriac here.  Too dry.   Can't help, sorry.  How are you going to let everyone know there's a simple question/simple answer thread?

Not sure.  Regular readers / contributors would soon get used to it.  After each new question it would automatically appear on the home page recent topics.  Newcomers not so easy.

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 13:22:34 »
I do! :toothy10: :toothy10: :toothy10:

Thanks.  I will do so.

My memory must be going.  I'm sure I must have had leggy celeriac before. Can't remember what I did tho.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 13:34:47 »
Mine's the same - plus only three germinated, and one is trapped in its seed still.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2021, 14:18:30 »
try putting a drop of water on the seed case to soften it so the seed leaves can escape more easily.
Obxx - Vendée France

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 14:22:52 »
We can sticky a topic so it is at the top of the forum lists - but it wont effect visibility on the home page..
Celeriac - tricky buggers at the best of time but I would bury them a bit.  No idea if I can grow them here but I have 24 seedlings on the go.  Just need to make a trench and backfill with manure and hope I can keep it watered
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 14:25:10 by BarriedaleNick »
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2021, 17:10:17 »
We can sticky a topic so it is at the top of the forum lists - but it wont effect visibility on the home page..
Celeriac - tricky buggers at the best of time but I would bury them a bit.  No idea if I can grow them here but I have 24 seedlings on the go.  Just need to make a trench and backfill with manure and hope I can keep it watered

And you have kindly done so!  Thank you.

I hope people use it!

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2021, 17:19:09 »
Mine's the same - plus only three germinated, and one is trapped in its seed still.

Warm damp conditions seems to work for me.  Also I do not cover the seeds, just sprinkle on the top of the compost.  The seeds might still be viable.  Be patient, more might still appear.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 23:07:34 »
I've thrown more in (plus tried Obelixx's idea) - it was a Franchi packet, so I could have planted millions!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 15:58:22 »
One feature of browsing the int'web is that your interests and purchasing habits are tracked and in turn you get to see advertisements related to your interests.  Lately I've been getting a few adverts for seed storage tins. The prices are outrageous and hard to see any advantage over my old biscuit tins.

Is it possible someone has ever actually bought one?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 16:08:23 »
I use old ice cream containers but now I also have smaller pots that held Thai red curry paste or Korean miso paste and they're a really good shape and size for things like Chiltern seed packets.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 16:28:13 »
Christmas present 2010 from my granddaughter. It was full of biscuits when I received it

I also have a few larger biscuit boxes that I use for my seeds.

But to answer your question;

I would never buy a box such as this!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2021, 21:05:34 »
People have tins (plastic) of Quality St, Heros etc. I scrounge tgem and use for seed. Keeps them out of landfill. I try to keep similar types of seed in each tin.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2021, 21:07:37 »
I've gone back to "Monarch" this year, Prinz, Prague Giant an Asterix did not do so well in our soil. Loads bolted.

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2021, 11:48:14 »
I've gone back to "Monarch" this year, Prinz, Prague Giant an Asterix did not do so well in our soil. Loads bolted.

Some things like spinach will bolt regardless. But some things - say beetroot, leaf beet, celeriac etc - are more likely to bolt if after germination they are exposed to too much wintry early spring weather.  Hot dry summer weather is not the only culprit.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2021, 14:08:22 »
My seeds are stored in an IKEA metal filing cabinet! It fits under the counter in my craft studio and has 6 drawers a bit bigger than A4.

I need two of those drawers for my peas! ;)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2021, 20:53:59 »
Saving your own peas and beans does take up some space!  :wave:

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2021, 21:34:38 »
That’s it Saddad, I’m not as obsessed with beans as I am with peas, but beans have their own drawe. Then one for flowers, herbs, companion plants and plants for my rabbits, and two for other vegetables. I also decant as much as possible into small plastic grip seal bags to save space.

Honestly though I don’t think I’ve got that many seeds.

At least I keep telling myself that!!!  :toothy10:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal