Produce > Non Edible Plants

Cosmos

<< < (2/2)

Flighty:
Obelixx well done. I think that the seeds you've bought are cosmos sulphureus rather than cosmos bipinnatus which I grow.
That's good to know.  It's been better today as it's sunny and calm, so noticeably warmer.  Thanks.  Yes the fish shop is still there, and I live just up the road from it.   

Obelixx:
Don't worry.  I have the pink and white ones too in several shades but wanted some hot stuff too.  I'm busy setting up hen proof barriers at the doors of the PT so I can sow some in safety.  They like to inspect everything!  Clumsy lot.

Good that the fish shop is still going.   When they learned we were moving to Belgium and OH was toing and froing at the weekends before the move we did a swap - Belgian chocs for smoked salmon.  Win-win.

JanG:
I was given some Cosmos sulphurous seed last year, having never met it before. It’s a smaller-flowered, airier sort of plant than the more usual Cosmos, but I liked it very much. It seemed to fit one or two of my somewhat wild, chaotic borders, and is a very cheerful splash of orange.
After also reading Flighty’s blog for the first time, I’ve now ordered Cosmos ‘Xanthos’ seeds, as the delicate pale yellow colouring very much appealed too. Thank you, Flighty.

Deb P:
I’ve only been growing Cosmos for the past five years but have found all varieties easy to germinate.
I really like the double ones like Click Cranberry, but haven’t found they self seed in my garden or at the allotment yet. The creamy yellow Xanthos was quite a bit shorter than all the other varieties I  tried so I planted in pots where they did ok but not as lush as the ones in open ground. I was a bit disappointed with the orange ones I got the seeds from Sarah Raven last year, a very harsh neon orange and the plants took ages to flower and just didn’t seem as vigorous for some reason.
I’m sticking to the darker burgundy shade ones this year, I tray sow with bottom heat and mine are all up within a few days, I prick out to large modules, harden off then planted at the end of April/ early May. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version