Author Topic: Treated ourselves  (Read 2778 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Treated ourselves
« on: March 21, 2021, 06:45:15 »
She wanted a red car, I wanted a green one, so we got a red coloured  green one. Buyers market out there so got a good deal on a half leccy one. Her new job entails a lot of driving so it makes sense to get something that is very cheap to run. It needs the petrol motor to race up and down motorways, but we don't have any here so it is mostly poodling around the island on electric. All done online with just the final test drive to confirm that we want it. Instead of the usual smooth talking barsteward  trying to sell you the most expensive car he can get away with, you tell them what you want and hint that the next garage is just a mouse click away then you get everything thrown in. Give it a few weeks then I can drive again, not that it needs much driving, anti collision, keeps you in lane, auto gearbox, it even parks itself. Made in England, non of your Euro trash.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 06:52:50 by ACE »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Treated ourselves
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 08:06:25 »
Hope you get behind the wheel again soon!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 12:03:24 »
What's the model if you don't mind revealing it?
We just bought a Nissan Qashqui which is great on fuel economy but a bit dull.  I wanted a pickup truck but was told in no uncertain terms that it wasn't to be! 
Lecky cars over here are only just taking off but I did notice a Tesla thing in town so maybe there will be more uptake soon.  I'd like one and it would do for 90% of our journeys but the market isn't here yet..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 13:07:58 »
Toyota Auris,  don't have to plug it in as it charges on braking. Short journeys on battery, fast journeys on petrol, 78mpg. But you cannot beat a pickup, ran various models for years when I was working. Having a crew cab was just as comfortable as a car and usually has all the bells and whistles you get in a normal car

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 19:49:47 »
Nice.
Petrol and diesel are eye wateringly expensive here so we went for economy as the Qashqai is pretty good - although they measure mpg here as liters per 100km so it is a bit confusing!  I might see if I can get a beat up old pickup but even old beat up cars here are not cheap.
Expensive cars and petrol and still people drive like lunatics!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 20:39:10 »
Latin temperament!  What d you expect?
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 06:55:23 »
  I might see if I can get a beat up old pickup
Get over to Morrocco, loads of old toyota pickups there, my mate picked one up for about 400 quid, round the clock twice and still going. Just remove the missile launchers :)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2021, 09:53:23 »
I'd have to check the bodywork for contraband!
You can't even import a car here without a ton of paperwork and a ton of cash as they charge you tax based on some archaic formula..

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 21:16:15 »
Nothing a brown envelope would not sort out.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal