Author Topic: I had a little nut tree, nothing would it bear  (Read 2665 times)

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
I had a little nut tree, nothing would it bear
« on: March 16, 2021, 12:37:10 »
Actually that is not quite true. I planned to have a little nut tree, several in fact, cobnuts and filberts, grown as large bushes in an area on one of my plots. They were ordered in November last year and I patiently awaited delivery. Nothing happended, but I did get an email and a letter reassuring me that they were in stock and would be delivered in due course, although deliveries were taking longer than usual.

But as time passed, I began to get worried. Buds were swelling and the period of winter dormancy for planting bare rooted trees was drawing to a close. So I emailed the supplier for an update. On the 2nd of March I got a reply saying they would provide an update on outstanding orders within a few days.  On the 11th they simply cancelled the order and said they would provide a refund.

The standard of customer service can only be described as appalling. Checking on "trust pilot" I could see a huge list of low ratings from consumers who had experienced similar problems. There was nothing to suggest the supplier was trying to keep the customers money and not supply the goods, but the delays were extraordinarily long. People reported ordering months and months earlier ago and still not getting their plants or trees. Most of all there was outrage at not being kept informed and a perception that the supplier was being evasive. Some were frustrated - had they known that the order would not be fulfilled, they could have gone elsewhere, but now they have no time to source alternative bare rooted stock and have lost a whole season.

Clearly something has gone drastically wrong with the business. Well we live in difficult times, but digging up bare rooted trees and bushes is outdoor work and not hard to make covid safe. Also delivery companies have risen to the challenge and are working pretty much as normal.

Now, I'm not sure if this site permits naming commercial suppliers.  My inclination was to warn others about the supplier, as it seems likely that if you do place an order you will at best have a very long wait and at worst may not get your order at all. Perhaps a moderator could advise?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 12:39:17 by Beersmith »
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: I had a little nut tree, nothing would it bear
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 17:18:33 »
We are having delivery problems as well.

We placed our order early November, part of the order came in mid-January, and we are still awaiting the balance of the order.

Sadly it is mainly my part of the order that has not been delivered.

The supplier was contacted this morning and the reply was he would get back to us.

We are still waiting! :sad10:

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 18:45:01 »
TeeGee,

Could be the same supplier!

They have a really impressive website with lots of claims about the range and quality of their products.

Understandably no mention of the dissatisfied customers.

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 13:55:16 »
My advice to anyone currently considering the purchase of fruit trees, fruit bushes, nut trees, soft fruit like strawberries, vines or anything of this type is to first visit Trust Pilot and read the customer reviews before putting in an order.

There are many many suppliers to choose from. A google search will list dozens.  Examples below. Fore warned is fore armed. Worth doing even if considering an order for bare rooted stock for planting next winter.

Chris Bowers
Pomona Fruits
Ashridge Farms
Orange Pippin
J Parker
Primrose
Marshalls
Blackmore
Ken Muir
Bernwode
James Macintyre
Southern Fruit Tress
Deacons Nursery

To name but a few and apologies if I have missed any other notable supplier.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 15:31:47 »
We have ‘ named and shamed’ all sorts on here before, as well as recommended seed and compost suppliers, I don’t see why you couldn’t say who has let you down so we can avoid!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 15:52:43 »
I tend to agree Debs but at this moment in time due to the Pandemic restrictions I am a little more tolerant!

Having said that; I sometimes think that some companies are hiding behind this situation! Sadly; No Proof!

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2021, 18:23:13 »
We have ‘ named and shamed’ all sorts on here before, as well as recommended seed and compost suppliers, I don’t see why you couldn’t say who has let you down so we can avoid!

My last comment was a strong hint. It was the first on the list.  Chris Bowers.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2021, 06:27:03 »
I too have an order with Chris Bowers - for two pear trees. My order was placed late - in early February - but I was beginning to feel the same alarm. Thank you for the warning. I shall make more urgent enquiries.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2021, 06:39:42 »
Update: I had an immediate email response from Chris Bowers - at 6.35 in the morning! It was brief and unpunctuated: ‘will be circa 7 days from now with thanks’.
We’ll see.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2021, 11:46:51 »
I have not ordered anything from Chris bowers. I do not grow any trees on the plot.  I have inherited what appears to be a small blue plum or damson and a very odd weeping cherry.  I was thinking of removing.  Ordered some fruit bushes from Kings Blackcurrant, Gooseberry in October through the association and all arrived OK.  Hope everyone gets their orders.  So frustrating to be let down with no explanation or care.  :wave:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2021, 12:55:13 »
I too have an order with Chris Bowers - for two pear trees. My order was placed late - in early February - but I was beginning to feel the same alarm. Thank you for the warning. I shall make more urgent enquiries.

I hope you are lucky.  Reading the reviews I would estimate about 1 in 20 were favourable, along the lines of some delay in delivery but the order did turn up eventually and the trees or bushes were fine.  As the supplier has abandoned so many customers and made refunds perhaps that will have freed up staff and time to get other orders out.

One good thing. There were very few complaints about the quality. 

Would you be kind enough to keep this discussion updated on how it goes?  Thank you.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2021, 06:43:06 »
Yes. Will do certainly.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2021, 10:27:19 »
I'm pleased to say that my two pear trees have arrived this morning. They look strong and were very well packaged. No sign of them springing into life; perhaps they have been held back in refrigeration.

So Chris Bowers have redeemed themselves in this instance - as long as the trees start to show signs of life and grow!

Beersmith

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2021, 21:48:36 »
That's good news.

My allotment pears are still quite young but the buds always seem to start swelling a bit ahead of the apples.  So it's a bit surprising that they seem fully dormant. 

Anyhow, good that the supplier seems to be getting back on track.  No one wins when businesses fail, neither owners or employees and especially not the customers.

That said, TeeGee may feel a little peeved. He ordered November 2020 and is still waiting.  At least I eventually got my money back, although I'd sooner have had the trees.

Hope they establish and grow well!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal