Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2021  (Read 24049 times)

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2021
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2021, 09:51:58 »
It’s arrived ! Thank you JanG and everyone. Wishing you all a good Christmas, we know spring is going to be a little more special.  Cheers.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2021, 16:24:48 »
Wow! Posted yesterday afternoon. That's good rapid service. I hope all was in good order.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2021, 17:12:25 »
Looks fabulous and reassuringly heavy ,although I am waiting for the right moment to dive in , feels more indulgent than fancy chocolates.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2021, 12:17:00 »
Mine arrived this morning and I couldn’t resist opening it right away for a quick look! I’m looking forward to a closer examination later. Thanks so much everyone, especially JanG of course. :)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2021, 17:55:40 »
And mine has arrived too.  Thank you so much Jan.  Can't wait to open it and survey all those treasures.  Thank you all for your seed saving work. 

I love being in the garden, watching something grow and sending virtual good wishes to the donors.  So if at any time next year your ears are burning, that's why :) .  Thank you all.   

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2021, 14:09:33 »
It arrived yesterday, thank you all for this box of treasures!

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2021, 14:35:36 »
Package arrived in the netherlands,if i will pay 5,25 euro first.Ofcourse i will.This is one of new rules.Everything outside the eu entering the eu you have to pay tax.Nevertheless i am glad it is arriving now safely.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2021, 07:33:26 »
So happy you got the seeds and all is well.  Sorry about having to pay tax, but it is worth it when you get to see what is in the parcel.   :sunny:

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2021, 16:34:53 »
As Galina says, great that the parcel is at least in the country- and so quickly - and just a bit of a pity about the tax. But hope you get to enjoy the contents very soon.

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2021, 15:08:24 »
The tax is strange, on something with no commercial value/gift. The contents are definitely worth it though  :drunken_smilie:

Are we to provide details for the seeds again JanG? Idk whether you're continuing with an Airtable base or something similar.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2021, 17:52:59 »
Yes please on providing as much info as possible for the seeds donated. I was going to ask shortly after Christmas but great that you've raised it. Galina has already supplied lots of info and others some too but it's really good to know where the seed originally came from and any known history, as well as how it grows and possibly any recommendations as to how best to use the resulting crop.

At the moment, Airtable is the best arrangement I can come up with as anything else I looked into either carried a cost or was studded with adverts. I hope the Airtable arrangement was acceptable but do let me know if it worked for you or if you have a different idea for collating the information.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2022, 11:36:21 »
I've at last got round to some fuller noted on the varieties I contributed to the seed circle. I'll add some photos to the database when I draw it up. It would be good to have any remaining details on varieties provided by other donors. Some of you have provided a lot of very valuable information already which I'll add to the database.

In the absence of any other satisfactory platform, I'm intending like last year to put all the notes received so far, and any which come in the next week or so, on an Airtable base and send out links so that you can all access it. Hopefully that will all happen in the next few days.

Tomatoes
Azoychka A productive yellow beefsteak tomato. A Russian heirloom found in Moscow on a collecting trip by Kent Whealy, founder of Seed Savers Exchange in US, who made it available in 1995

Sweet Aperitif Bred by Mark Rowland (Gourmet Genetics). It’s a very sweet small red cherry tomato, some might say over sweet. It carries an AGM and is commercially available.

Jen’s Tangerine This is an orange mid-sized tomato with good flavour found and grown in the French Pyrenees. It’s sold by Real Seeds (https://www.realseeds.co.uk/tomatoes_vines.html) though my seed came from an exchange

Primabella Also offered by Real Seeds. Impressively blight resistant. I grew this out of doors and it soldiered on happily producing mid-sized red tomatoes into October when all other plants had succumbed and died.

Peas
Rosakrone. My seed came from Real Seeds. It’s a crown pea with pink flowers. Real Seeds describes it: A very unusual heirloom from Sweden, with beautiful red/pink flowers borne in 'crowns' above the foliage.
It grows to around 4 - 5 foot tall, and looks stunning on a wigwam or peasticks for a decorative feature that also produces lots of tasty peas. Given to us by Vivi Logan, we are delighted to add this to our collection.

Opal Creek. This is a yellow Sugarsnap Alan Kapuler variety which grows to about 5ft. There’s an excellent full review of it by Rebsie Fairholme at https://www.angelfire.com/az/garethknight/dots/opalcreek.html.
My original seed came from Plants of Distinction

Champion of England. A tall growing pea bred by William Fairbeard in Kent (1843) and apparently grown by Charles Darwin, and mentioned in his book 'The Variation of Animals and Plants under Domestication, 1868'. It was judged as the best pea by the Journal of Horticulture in 1876. In the 1970's, taller growing peas fell out of favour, but HSL rescued it and offers it from time to time. My seed originally came from Real Seeds

Dwarf French beans
Saint Esprit d’Oeil Rouge A productive bean with markings rather like Soldier and perhaps one or two other named varieties. My seed came from Deaflora
https://deaflora.de/Shop/Bohnen/Buschbohne-Saint-Esprit-d--8217-Oeil-Rouge.html?language=de

Squaw One of my most productive dwarf beans this year with attractively patterned seed. I found it good to eat as a shelly/demi-sec or as a dried bean

Rosso di Lucca. This was also amazingly productive for a dwarf bean. It’s an Ark of Taste Heirloom from Italy

Climbing French bean
Gialèt Also from Italy and also adopted by the Slow Food Foundation’s Ark of Taste. It’s known for its delicate taste and is still grown using traditional methods in the Valbelluna district. My seed came from an Italian donor, as did Rosso di Lucca and Gialèt

Lettuce
Bijou. This is an attractive blistered leaf, frilly lettuce with the darkest red leaves I’ve come across. It remains loose and in good condition for a good long time. I’ve sown it in January for polytunnel planting and in March for outdoors, and it did well grown both ways.

Brown Dutch. A very old variety mentioned in 1731 by British botanist Stephen Switzer. It’s a loose-headed variety with large, floppy, blistered outer leaves tinged reddish-brown. It was grown and documented by the US president Thomas Jefferson. My original seeds came from the Monticello shop on the site of his original home and garden.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2022, 10:17:48 »
I've now gathered all the information which you, the seed circle, gave about your varieties and I've put it all, as before, on Airtable. I've sent the link by pm this morning, so do let me know whether it works and whether you're happy with the information. If you'd like to add info that would be great. I can't remember whether you can only read or can also edit, but I'm happy to add or change anything if you let me know.
It's quite a  bank of information added to from sundry internet sources, so hope it proves useful.

We didn't have  any ongoing comments arising from growing 2020 varieties but I think it would be good to have follow-up so that's something I'd like to encourage - and must remember to do it myself!!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2022, 11:55:13 »
A seed advent calendar, what a brilliant idea! Where was that from or was it home made?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2022, 13:59:35 »
Deb P , it was a gift via Amazon, Own Grown I think was the brand . Everything was included to  hang the calendar like bunting and the quality high enough to refill and reuse. Seed count was good and I am not sure I could have made it much cheaper myself about £25 . Cheers.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2022, 18:32:39 »
I think it’s a great gift for a gardener, I think I’d quite enjoy putting one together! Not necessarily the cheapest route though as you say!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2022, 07:36:08 »
Thank you Jan.  Quite a lot of work on your part.  And very useful additional info for my seed information databases.  Really happy to have this resource available. 

I got your link with an invitation to register.  But it seems that last year's link still works.  Maybe only new seed circle members need to create a password etc?  Or should we all do that for some organisational reasons?

Thank you Jan and everybody who contributed info.   

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2022, 16:39:31 »
Thank you from me too , much appreciated. I share the seeds with friends so all that lovely information really helps ( makes me sound like I know stuff) . Not sure I can sit on my hands for much longer although the weather is filthy! So watch out lettuces I have you in my sights …. Cheers everyone, let the sowing commence…..

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2022, 20:48:06 »
Sowed lettuces today and some dark coloured pea seeds.  The yellow green marrowfats have to wait a bit longer. 

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2022, 07:48:45 »
Thanks Markfield Rover and Galina. In answer to your question about creating a new password, I wouldn’t have thought so. I simply gave the link again in case you might have lost it. But the finances of Airtable are a mystery to me. I ran close to having to pay for the amount of data I have on all the bases I have, which are several growing logs. But yesterday I got credit for inviting Markfield Rover to Airtable, an unexpected and incomprehensible effect. So whatever MR did was very helpful and might cover me for future data!

Ditto, lettuces, peas and peppers. From the seed circle, I’ve sown Galina’s and Ruud’s pepper seeds (I wish I could get better at isolating pepper flowers for true seed), Vetivert’s Bronze Arrow and Markfield Rover’s Northern Queen lettuce. All beautifully coming to life.

I found Turkish Snake chilli pepper failed to germinate when I first sowed it in a pot. But I then put a few seeds in damp kitchen paper and slowly they began to germinate. I wonder whether anyone else has found it germinates more slowly and responds to a little extra care. I’m very pleased to see it coming to life as it looks amazing!

I’ve just realised I’ve left Silverleaf’s beans off the database. Apologies Silverleaf. I hope to add them in the next day or so.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal