Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2021  (Read 24047 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2021
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2021, 12:33:31 »
I have also got enough seeds of Zelma Zesta, a pencil podded Climbing French Bean that did really well for me this year.  The alternative spelling is Selma Zesta and a different bean to Selma Zebra, although superficially they resemble each other.  Here is the story of Selma Zesta as written by Remy from Sample Seeds:  http://www.sampleseeds.com/?page_id=7770
This variety has green pods striped with purple. They are stringless. This is an older Parks seed variety that originated from a family heirloom. Some of this bean’s history was described over on the GardenWeb Bean forum by the member Rodger (The supplier of my seeds):
“The Zelma Zesta bean was developed by my wife’s Great Uncle the Late Mr JC Metze. Mr Metze gave me a quart jar of seed in the early 80s. The bean was developed from a family bean that he selected for long tender pods. In the 1960s he sold the patent for the bean to Parks seed company which is about 30 miles from us here in South Carolina. Parks Trialed the bean at their bean grow out farm in Selma Alabama. My understanding from Parks seed is all varieties that were introduced from the Selma Alabama farm used the name Selma. Parks no longer uses the farm in Selma Alabama most seed is generated abroad or in the Western part of the US today. Parks sold the bean in their catalog in the 1960s to early 1970s. So the real name of the bean would have been Selma Zesta, but I use the spelling of Zelma Zesta because that is what is written on the label that Mr JC Metze gave me when he gave me the beans.”

There is a nearly lost variety but now available again from a couple of smaller seed companies in the USA.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 12:52:48 by galina »

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2021, 21:50:18 »
Thanks Galina, all these beans sound lovely. Great to see another Mazlenk bean. The Mazlenk Rumen Visok II from last year's circle was a good one, tasty, tender and stringless. The pods drying for seed are like prunes - completely wrinkled, not a hint of parchment.

I can confirm Boerentenen. Still many green pods, but no rain damage as I had feared.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2021, 11:30:33 »
Mazlenk is Slovenian and means butter or buttercup.  Buttery soft or butter yellow beans.  I thought for a long time as I had been told by my original donor, that Mazlenk is a family name, but apparently not so. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 11:33:46 by galina »

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2021, 11:22:09 »
Here is my list till now,maybe i can offer some more depends on the time needs of drying some late ones.
BEANS:  strecour del piemonte pole variety of merveille de piemonte.
             noir de belgique dwarf bean very old belgian variety of snap bean,picked young.
             paarse johan dutch variety,purple pole bean
             blue coco purple pole bean from french very old variet dated 18 century.
TOMATOES: ayas turkish red tomato indeterminate seize golf ball,great crop.
                  rosamax big red tomatoes indeterminate
                  kozula 125 red with green flames indeterminate from poland golf ball seize
PEPPERS:phrik key nuu one of asian famoust peppers great crop
              dulce pestisor yellow sweet pepper from romania,sweet pepper shaped sweet pepper
              turkish snake hot pepper long red one can be 20 cm long
TOMATILLO: queen of malinalco very big long shaped yellow tomatillo,tastes great fresh.Origanelly from malinalco mexico
This is my contribution to the seedcircle,maybe there will be some surprises depends on time of drying.Have a nice day and greetings from the other side of the pond 

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2021, 12:56:28 »
ruud, that list has certainly put a spring in my step ! So much to look forward to.
The circle maybe a moderate number but it definitely packs a punch. Thank you all.

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2021, 20:56:17 »
Amazing list Ruud, thanks. Have been wanting to try that Malinalco tomatillo for ages now  :icon_cheers:
Is the Strecour del Piemonte a drying bean or snap?

Appreciate the update regarding the 'mazlenk' name. It would appear that its usually spelled 'maslenec' in the context of butter pods. Here's one that looks very much like 'Mazlenk Rumen Visok II' http://www.bohnen-atlas.de/sorten/p/2781-ptujski-maslenec

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2021, 10:19:36 »
What a great list, Ruud. Lovely to have so many rare varieties circulating and therefore more secure from being lost. The only variety you've listed that seems to be at all available is the tomato Kozula 125 and that looks and sounds really special.
And thanks for your additional beans, Galina. As Markfield Rover says, this collection of varieties really packs a punch now!

Everyone seems fine with an end of November deadline. I'll send PMs in the next couple of days with further details. We haven't heard from Silverleaf recently but we'll hope she's still with us, so please prepare five packages of the seeds you're offering.

Updated list. Please correct if any mistakes or omissions

Silverleaf

Vetivert
BROAD BEAN: El Beano
CFB: Angel/Engelsbohne/Monstrance, Oude Sloveense Boterboon, Grand-mère;
LETTUCE: Bronze Arrowhead, White-seeded Samara;
SENSOPOSAI: (European Cabbage x Komatsuna);
RUNNER BEAN: Boerentenen

Galina
CFB: Hewitt, Phil’s, Reading Purple, Mazlenk Visok Dolgi Stroki, Zelma Zesta;
PEPPER: Sipka Belaja
TOMATILLO: Purple
GROUND CHERRY

Ruud
CFB:  strecour del piemonte pole variety of merveille de piemonte, noir de belgique, paarse johan dutch variety,purple pole bean , blue coco purple pole bean from french very old variet dated 18 century.
DFB:dwarf bean very old belgian variety of snap bean,picked young.
TOMATOES: ayas turkish red tomato indeterminate seize golf ball,great crop, rosamax big red tomatoes indeterminate, kozula 125 red with green flames indeterminate from poland golf ball seize
PEPPERS:phrik key nuu one of asian famoust peppers great crop, dulce pestisor yellow sweet pepper from romania, sweet pepper shaped sweet pepper, turkish snake hot pepper long red one can be 20 cm long
TOMATILLO: queen of malinalco very big long shaped yellow tomatillo,tastes great fresh.Origanelly from malinalco mexico

JanG
TOMATOES: Azoychka, Sweet Aperitif, Jen’s Tangerine, Primabella
PEAS: Rosakrone, Opal Creek, Champion of England;
DFB: Saint Esprit d’oeil Rouge
LETTUCE: Bijou, Brown Dutch

Markfield Rover
BEETROOT: Long Blood Red:
LETTUCE:Northern Queen
TURNIP: Veitch’s Red Globe:
CIME DI RAPE , Quarantina,
RUNNER BEAN: Judion,
ROCKET/Rochelle

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2021, 10:40:48 »
I've added two lettuce varieties to my list. Brown Dutch is documented from the eighteenth century and was grown by Thomas Jefferson at Monticello which is where my seed originally came from. It's quite a large loose-headed variety with a reddish tinge to the outside leaves.
Bijou is a modern variety with the darkest reddest leaves I've come across.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 14:30:03 by galina »

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2021, 14:48:35 »
It was one of my favourites this season.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2021, 14:56:19 »
I’ll need to confirm later, but I should have some tomatoes, beans and peas. Sorry I’m fighting a cold at the moment so not quite on the ball!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2021, 14:58:28 »
Ground cherry  Cossack Pineapple  http://seedsaverscircle.org/seed-circle/seed-circle-2012/
Sipka Belaja pepper is also a repeat from previous seed circle  http://seedsaverscircle.org/seed-circle/a4a-seed-saver-group-2015/
Unfortunately I have no records of where the purple tomatillo came from. 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 15:05:56 by galina »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2021, 15:21:20 »
It is very difficult to know what is what with the Mazlenk word without good language knowledge.  Google can only help so much.  Mazlenk Rumen Visok went from Slovenia, possibly via Arche Noah in Austria, to Seed Savers Exchange in USA, from where a seed friend got it and swapped it with me.  There may be even more intermediate stages, this is only what I know about.  With so many different seed savers involved, the 'chinese whispers' effect of what ends up written on a seed packet can change names.  All we can do is try and pass on the name we ourselves got without modification or interpretation of our own.  Now seeing an actual commercial seed packet like you have shown, is more convincing.  It could indeed be the same bean.  :drunken_smilie:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 15:27:57 by galina »

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2021, 15:36:52 »
Okay, I’ve got Saart Roloise, Pink Painted, Coyote, Black Cherry and Helsing Junction Blues tomatoes.
Kentish Invicta, Unity, and Blawschokker peas. I’ve also got a ton of Elisabeth but I think that’s been shared a few times before, I’ll put them in if anyone doesn’t have them or wants fresh seed.

There’s also a few other peas with interesting flower colours if any ones interested in those, they’d be in smaller numbers though.

Not checked my beans yet…

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2021, 19:42:59 »
Got a good crop of Bloody Warrior lettuce seeds, but as it was in the circle only last year I haven't a clue whether adding more seeds would be considered necessary. Do let me know if there's interest; plenty to go around.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2021, 06:03:34 »
Great to hear from you, Silverleaf, and your contributions much appreciated

Saart Roloise tomato looks and sounds amazing, and not otherwise available in UK I think.
I’m also interested in whether you grew Coyote out of doors. I believe it’s a large wild-type plant. I’m wondering whether it’s rather like Matt’s Wild Cheery in form and habit but yellow rather than red. How did you find it to grow and to eat?

Hope that cold is getting better.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2021, 12:17:29 »
Saart Roloise is very striking to look at, I found it a little bland for my own tastes but I’m famously picky about tomatoes and I much prefer them with loads of acid, I’m sure others will appreciate it. I think my seeds were from Croatia.

Coyote was in my mini polytunnel. Yes the plants get pretty out of control if you don’t prune, and it makes a ton of tiny cherries. I just let it do its own thing, next year I’ll try to keep it a bit tidier! I’ve grown it outside in pots before and it’s done well. The fruit has a weird savoury taste which I really enjoy (even if my brain finds it unusual at first). It’s one of my favourites.

Cold? Ugh. No fun.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2021, 17:27:42 »
Fermented a few tomato seeds of tomato 'Old Wyandotte'.  Nice fruity beefsteak tomatoes with lovely flavour.  USA heirloom tomato.  Better in the greenhouse.  Named after the yellow orange Wyandotte chickens. 

ruud

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2021, 21:06:36 »
If anybody likes to grow a black corn i can add black aztec to the circle

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2021, 23:25:28 »
Would love some Black Aztec corn, and enjoying the prospect of Old Wyandotte too. Good to have a really flavoursome beefsteak.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal