Produce > Edible Plants

Seed Saving Circle 2021

<< < (4/27) > >>

Silverleaf:
I went for:

Sart Roloise (white beefsteak with blue shoulders)
Pink Painted (pink indigo)
Amethyst Jewel (pink indigo)
Zlatava (orange with red inside)
Indigo Kumquat (yellow plum cherry with blue shoulders)
Coyote (tiny yellow cherry with unusual flavour, I grew it years ago but for some reason I don't think I saved seed)
Gargamel (red, yellow and blue stripes)
Helsing Junction Blues (blue cherry)
Ei Von Phuket (pale pink plum)

I just can't resist weird colours!  :tongue3:

JanG:
Great stuff! I have a bit of a weakness for weird colours too!

I’m growing three of the same varieties as you: Indigo Kumquat, Gargamel and Helsing Junction Blues. We’ll have to compare notes.

White beefsteak with blue shoulders is difficult to imagine but sounds amazing. And Zlatava too - sounds rather like a blood orange?

Great selection. Sounds like a rainbow tomato project to run by the side of your rainbow pea project! 👍😃

JanG:
I’m wondering how those participating in the 2020 seed circle are getting on with the varieties exchanged then. And also where best to exchange any observations.

I wanted to post about Galina’s Greek White squash and decided to put that on the 2020 seed circle thread. If anyone has any thoughts about whether it’s best to do that, or to simply use this year’s thread, do say. I’m just not sure whether anyone is likely to read the 2020 thread.

JanG:
It's peak seed saving time!

Seed saving is probably at its height right now. Certainly I’m seriously into podding dried beans and also fermenting tomato seeds on my kitchen windowsill.

I’m very impressed in particular with a variety of tomato called Azoychka which was new to me. It’s a large yellow beefsteak which came early, a nice surprise for such a large tomato. It has remained prolific throughout the season with good large yellow tomatoes. I have this one lined up to offer as part of my contribution to the seed circle.

I hope everyone else interested in joining in is beginning to have a few ideas about what you might be able to contribute. Do divulge if you know already. It’s good for us to whet our appetites!

It would also be good to know what kind of timing would suit everyone this year. Last year, if I remember rightly, we sent our seeds by the end of November in anticipation of Brexit complications. And it seemed to work rather well. Perhaps you could say if you would like to go for the end of November again, or whether you would prefer to wait until the new year.

In the meantime, happy seed saving. And new participants are very welcome.

Elfeda:
I am saving principe borghese tomato and padron peppers if they are any interesting :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version