Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2021  (Read 25119 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2021
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2022, 09:38:34 »
Indeed, what did you do MR?  If it is beneficial, I will certainly do the log in and password routine Jang. 

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2022, 11:45:11 »
All I did as far as I am aware , email plus password, don’t think I pressed anything else! I am a bit of a Luddite .

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2022, 13:17:19 »
All understood.  I didn't do that.  Just typed in the top window airtable and the login happened automatically as Windows auto filled the search pane. 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2022, 13:11:37 »
Two questions.  I was surprised that 'Brown Dutch' is actually a white seeded lettuce.  But I have since found out that it comes in two versions, both brown seeded and white seeded.  And the white seeded version is the older one apparently.  So all good and have just sowed the first tiny pinch in a pot on the capillary matting indoors.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/heirloom-lettuce-varieties-zewz1308zpit/#:~:text=Brown%20Dutch%20(white%2Dseeded),Swede%20in%20old%20garden%20books.

Second question.  When is the best time to start the nasturtium?  And do I need to put them in the propagator, on the windowsill or stratify in the fridge please. 

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2022, 09:31:45 »
Morning, the Blue Pepe nasturtium can be sown direct in April/May enjoys poorish soil. I sow indoors (no extra heat) in early April one seed in a three inch pot then plant out after frosts . I always hedge my bets a little so unheated greenhouse too. I don’t do anything to the seed prior to sowing. Having said that I may sow now indoors for an early fancypants  garnish for Easter .
So many seeds so little time!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2022, 16:03:46 »
Thank you Markfield Rover.  I have just started on the earliest tomatoes and lettuce.  Peas to start next week.  Had the very first broadbeans in a tray and planted yesterday with a bottle cloche on top of each plant.  The next batch have germinated as we speak and will go out before long too, and there are tiny green shoots of the first lettuce as well. 

Thank you for the nasturtium Pepe advice.  Never grown them and looking forward to it, but looks like there is a little time to go yet.  Thank you.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2022, 07:18:02 »
Thanks for raising the Brown Dutch question, Galina. I know and very much like William Woys Weaver’s writings but hadn’t taken in the distinction between the two strains of Brown Dutch. As I think I said earlier, mine was from the Monticello shop, and had been grown by Thomas Jefferson in the early nineteenth century. The notes on that website refer to the same Switzer as Weaver refers to (1731). So a bit of pedigree!
I’ll have to keep a look-out for the black-seeded version.

On the subject of lettuces, I gave seeds of Bijou which was an intense dark red. I’ve sown my own seed again and so far the small plants are reddish but certainly not intensely red. I’m hoping the red develops (and can’t remember the early colour development from last year) but wondering whether some crossing has occurred, although they were in the polytunnel fairly well away from other lettuces so I’m not sure how that would have happened. But I’m hoping it’s not a disappointment.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2022, 07:30:00 »
And I can vouch for the loveliness of Blue Pepe nasturtium. Satisfyingly blue leaves.

I planted out my first peas a couple of days ago. It seemed a bit reckless as the winds are still strong but they’re doubly protected so I’m hoping they’ll survive a bit of buffeting. Haven’t started tomatoes yet, usually wait till mid-March, but peppers are in full swing. Thank you Galina and Ruud.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2022, 08:51:01 »
Jan, that echoes my Relic lettuce, which was just about black when I grew it first in a very sunny year.  I think I shared that at some time with the seed circle.  The year after it was dark red, but not blackish red.  Sunlight intensity has a lot to do with the colour.  Lettuce does not cross a lot, although it can, so basically don't worry about it.  Mine hasn't put an appearance in yet, but I will report. 

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2022, 06:08:38 »
Yes, thanks for your reassurance. The Relic I grew was red but not very dark, which bears out that a lot depends on growing conditions, as you say. I had Bijou in my polytunnel and outdoors and it was very dark red in both cases. So it is all quite curious. We shall see.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2022, 06:34:02 »
Reading back for another reason, I came across an exchange with Earlypea.  And it is quite likely that the OS for the purple tomatillo was Real Seeds and Earlypea was the donor of my seeds.  I wish I had kept records, like I do with beans, peas, tomatoes and squashes.  But I have not bought tomatillo seeds, so the source was most likely this seed circle. 

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2022, 06:20:02 »
Thanks for that further information, Galina. I’ll add it to the database.

A week or two ago, Vetivert also sent me some more very useful information about the varieties she had contributed and that too is on the Airtable base.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2022, 04:41:45 »
That airtable is now looking very good with a lot of information.  Thank you Jang for all the work on this. 

A gremlin seems to have sneaked in.  Salewski's Ungarische seems to be called Rob Roy.  Pastoral is under Ortner Speck and Red Carolina is under Lazy Housewife in the Gallery view.  It is perfectly clear what the real name is when the information page is clicked though, so no issue.

I love scrolling through and looking forward to what is to come.  Especially now that some the tiny seedlings have made an appearance.   :icon_cheers:

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2022, 06:32:41 »
Thank you, Galina, for spotting those oddities. I’m not at all sure how that happened but hopefully rectified now.

Also enjoying several of the varieties. Ruud’s peppers and Galina’s Sipka Belaja are thriving and are now mostly 5-6” tall, with Turkish Snake a little smaller. Lettuces are ready to prick out and tomatoes just beginning to germinate beautifully. Peas are already planted out under their bottle cloches/rodent protection. A very exciting time of year!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2022, 09:07:47 »
Thank you JanG.  There are 2 entries for Angel, but this is getting very nitpicking indeed. 

It is really lovely to have the photos and all the info in the one place.  Thank you again for putting this together for us. 

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2022, 06:38:54 »
I’m very pleased you’re nit-picking. Thank you for being such an efficient proof-reader. And delighted that you’re finding it useful. I shall get onto Angel immediately!

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2022, 12:23:18 »
The El Beano are in bloom, and out of 50 plants 49 have white flowers and 1 has bicoloured flowers. So the outcrossing rate to other varieties hasn't been disasterous. I hope everyone else finds their stock to be of similar quality.  :wave:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #117 on: April 08, 2022, 04:05:59 »
I wish, mine are well behind yours Vetivert.  The first six got planted out at the end of February from handsome indoor grown plants.  Even with bottle cloches they got frosted, but in the end 3 did survive, one sprouted again from the base. 

A second batch started indoors in March are now also out.  They are growing well but flowers are a little while off.  Will report on colours.  Are you keeping your bicolour flowering plant?

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #118 on: April 08, 2022, 06:58:00 »
Mine are also behind. I planted them in my meadow area, away from my other broad beans in the hope of keeping them pure. There they seem to have fallen prey to a determined attack by leaf-cutting bean weevils. I’m hoping they will outgrow the attack but it seems to be holding them back.
The same has happened in that area before and I’m wondering whether it could be because field beans have sometimes been grown in the field which borders it - not this year fortunately. If a population of weevils has developed in that area, I’ll need to avoid planting beans there in future.

El Beano sounds a very interesting bean. I’m very much hoping mine thrive soon. How tall did yours grow,  Vetivert?

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #119 on: April 08, 2022, 14:04:52 »
I'm curious so I'll let the bicoloured one stay. Last season they were planted relatively close to my neighbour's Aguadulce. I was also growing Oldambtser, crimson and black flowered varieties nearby.
They weren't huge, about 3ft. Though there's every chance they'll exceed that this year, as they overwintered in the ground, whereas the last batch were transplanted rather late. The bed is also much more fertile.

Sorry to read of the pest attacks and losses. If any of you are in need of more seeds just let me know.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal