Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Celtuce

<< < (2/5) > >>

saddad:
Cucamelons.... Wong on so many levels!
Winter Radish are great, grated into winter salads raw, or boiled or roasted like turnips. Can go in soon after potatoes are lifted... unless you are growing late mains.

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: Obelixx on February 28, 2021, 20:24:07 ---
My experiment for this year is a pomegranate and a feijoa.

--- End quote ---

I'm hooked!  Next year it'll be winter radish, and I'm off to search the int'web to see if feijoa will grow in the UK.

Paulh:
"Cucamelons.... Wong on so many levels!"

As in James Wong?

Obelixx:
Feijoa/pineapple quava is hardy to -5C so I kept my new plant in the polytunnel for winter and planted it out a few days ago.  It's evergreen and I will have to keep an eye on it and be ready with fleece if we look set to have heavy (for here) frosts.   It's in a new fruit bed on the south side of the PT so will be sheltered from the coldest northerly winds.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/26630/Acca-sellowiana-(F)/Details

Tiny Clanger:
Hi Obelix. I tried asparagus pea about 5 years ago. Have not grown again. Tried them cooked and raw. Did not go down well with family. Grew OCA a coupke of years ago. Same outcome. Not impressed. They took almost  all year to grow (feb to dec.) Disappointing. Cucamelons are another no-no, as are cucmber "crystal" the ones shaped like a kiwi. I always like to try a different tomato variety every season, along with the regulars. This year, San Maranzano. Italian chum recomended.

Here's to a better season than last year. Heart wasn't really in it I fear   :wave:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version