Produce > Edible Plants

Growing tomatoes from seed

(1/7) > >>

davholla:
Does anyone do this and any advice?  I might go to Dobbies next weekend to buy some.

Obelixx:
Yes.  I sow in modules with bottom heat and plenty of light for the seedlings so they don't get etiolated.

In a normal year I'd be swing now but it's cold and grey and dark and wet and that would mean problems for pricking out seedlings and keeping them happy so I'm waiting a week or two more.

Tee Gee:
This is how I do it

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/T/Tomato/Tomato.htm

JanG:
I wait till March in UK, otherwise the plants get inconveniently large while still needing protection from frosts up till the second half of May here.
I find it’s fine to sow five or six seeds in a 3” pot and prick out from there. As Tee Gee shows on his link, the advantage is that you can bury the stalk of the seedling up to the bottom leaves making for stockier plants.

saddad:
We use the TeeGee method described above, don't rush at it we have 50+ heritage varieties so grow exclusively from our own saved seed. We will start ours in mid-March in a propagator, move out to a cold greenhouse, prick them out when they have true leaves and put into position by the end of April.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version