Author Topic: Shortage of Rocket potatoes?  (Read 1968 times)

Nora42

• Acre
Shortage of Rocket potatoes?
« on: February 07, 2021, 12:02:03 »
Hi. I always sign up for the GYOP to grow at the school with the chilldren  and this year we have this message

Casablanca to replace Rocket as National variety for 2021

Each growing kit will contain two varieties of seed potatoes: one for the national competition, and a second variety for the regional competition, depending on where you are in the country.

However, this year CASABLANCA will replace Rocket as the National variety grown by all schools, due to an early drought resulting in lower than anticipated yields of Rocket and an increase in demand for home-grown potatoes during lockdown.

[/b]

my Rocket potatoes perfrom quite well in Lockdown 2020. this year i have opted for Charlotte Casablanca and Maris peer.
i was just wondering if anybody else has seen Rocket MIA.

Nora
Norf London

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Shortage of Rocket potatoes?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 13:54:06 »
Seed potato growing is regional, and mostly in the north and Scotland. So you don't need a natiowide drought to impact on supplies, rather some problem that covers the seed producing areas.

Our association had no problem obtaining rocket this year, and some on line seed suppliers (Suttons) for example are still selling but DT Brown are showing Rocket as "sold out", and Marshalls as "not available".  So not really clear to me, one way or the other.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 14:29:56 »
Wilko's usually have them but they are showing unavailable. Possibly a similar a similar problem to that which Lady Christi growers have faced.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 19:40:47 »
Wilko's here were carrying Rocket when I bought my other varieties a couple of weeks ago.

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2021, 09:03:25 »
Yesterday I called at Wilko's and they have now got Rocket potatoes in.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal