Author Topic: Stairway to heaven  (Read 4176 times)

pumkinlover

Re: Stairway to heaven
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2021, 07:35:46 »
That's interesting Obelixx thank you

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2021, 12:22:05 »
Is black venus rice a variation on brown rice?

I enjoy the flavour of brown rice but compared to white (de-husked) rice it doesn't absorb much flavour from the dish it is in - this means the dish eg. a curry or risotto is missing the 'melded' flavour I'm used to - it tastes more like two different meals on the same plate - that can work - but it changes the flavour and the texture so much that the dish is almost unrecognisable.

However I mostly use white rice to get a tasty meal on the table with minimum time in the kitchen, so there are many slower dishes I rarely cook that might work as well or better with brown rice - I seem to remember that some rice balls are more interesting with brown rice in the mix (though I think millet has the edge here).

Even so, if I want a black risotto I think I'll still be choosing the type with sepia (cuttlefish ink) - so delicious...

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2021, 12:55:51 »
No.  It's just black and full of flavour so is a good side but not suitable for paella or risotto dishes.   I shall go and take a photo so you can see.
Obxx - Vendée France

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2021, 13:35:08 »
Here it is:
Obxx - Vendée France

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2021, 12:00:34 »
Here it is:
Thanks Obelixx - if I can find it my first try would be adding some to a rice ball recipe.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2021, 12:07:39 »
I wouldn't.   It won't get sticky enough.   Just try it as rice, simply cooked and seasoned.   Very good served with fish and seafood dishes but not curries or risottos.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal