Author Topic: Made a start  (Read 4780 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Made a start
« on: February 11, 2021, 12:22:19 »
This is how things are looking in my Heated & unheated greenhouses this morning (11-02-21)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Made a start
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2021, 14:12:44 »
Well done you.  Looks very organised and I hope it all goes well.

Far too cold to sow anything here and it's been a very dark, grey year so far so even if I sow with heat mats I don't think the resulting seedlings would be happy with light levels or overnight temps in the PT.  Forecast is dull and dark for at least another week and cold too so I'm now waiting till end Feb to see what happens.
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2021, 07:10:04 »
Where are you putting all that lot Tee-Gee?... you gave up the plots!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 08:52:32 »
Very organised! I’m trying to sit on my hands a bit longer as I’m having trouble keeping my greenhouse frost free this year so there is no point starting to germinate vulnerable seedlings if I can’t grow them on in the right conditions....!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 11:44:16 »
Looks like you have been busy TG.  What have you sown so far?

I have just started snow peas and broadbeans in the Kitchen.  They have now got a small root, and will go out next week when it is due to warm up. 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 12:17:07 »
Today it is 19c and the sun is out.  It is so tempting to go all in but I have no real idea of what the weather is going to be like over the next month or two.  We are in a "rare frost" zone but we had at least 6 nights of temps down below -1c..
So the chilis\peppers are on of course and I have made a start with a few herbs, dwarf beans and courgettes but only really because I have open packets and way too many seeds.  I'm not actually very organised and dont have staging or a poly tunnel now so I'll need to improvise!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 13:18:06 »
Where are you putting all that lot Tee-Gee?... you gave up the plots!

I will probably be giving a lot of it away e.g. my son & daughter are planning to give their gardens a bit of a makeover, and I am in the throes of giving my garden one as well.

Then my neighbour next door who kindly looked after us during the first shutdown is developing her garden, so I plan on give her a few bits & pieces for her efforts.

Add to that the village hardware store generally takes any surplus  I have and sells them for me, so as you see;I shouldn't have a problem, getting rid of it all!

But most of all it is my way of keeping myself occupied during the lockdowns!

What have you sown so far?

Mainly perennials as I am of a mind to make my garden a bit more 'maintenance free' now that I am knocking on a bit!

Last season I purchased some seeds I needed from Chiltern Seeds and at the time I saw they had a 'lucky dip'offer on, so I purchased the perennial seed offer of 10 packets for £4.99, so I am having a go with these to see what sort of results I get.

So the chillis\peppers are on of course and I have made a start with a few herbs, dwarf beans and courgettes

In terms of veg, I have only set a few Onion seeds up to press!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 14:20:42 »
'dwarf beans and courgettes'  I think it must be warmer in Portugal.
Though I now have a large cloche/mini polytunnel so I am hoping to try a few beans soon.  We are forecast a heat wave next week.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 14:50:41 »
This is our 5th winter here and, hithertoo, they have been short, light and bright but this year we have had dark, leaden skies since early December and serious cold for here so I have put off plans to sow chillies in early Feb as the seedlings have to go into an unheated polytunnel which we are currently using as day shelter for the chooks as it is so wet outside.

They have pecked and trampled my table of small plants from cuttings and divisions and their dust bathing in the drier soil in there means my citrus plants and fuchsias in pots are covered in dust too so I need it to be safe outside for the cooks so I can make inside safe for baby plants.

Good luck with your perennial seeds TeeGee - never much seen the point of sowing annuals for bedding as the effort and investment is the same but the rewards short-lived.

Obxx - Vendée France

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2021, 13:27:29 »
WOW TeeGee. Brilliant. I have not even looked at my 6 x 4 greenhouse yet.  Still got a few pumpkin squashes left and there is no cover yet on my polytunnel.  Plot looking very bleak with three drumhead cabbage, 3 savoy type, 5 sprouts and two dozen sad leeks.  I'm aiting for a bit of warmth.  As I'm not very big, the mud on me boots would probably "root" me to the spot.  :wave:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 16:57:45 »
Well I'm pretty much going all in but with caution as always..
The weather for the rest of the month looks good so tomorrow I start in earnest. 

Popped to the market yesterday - toms were 5 for a €1 but I have no idea what type they are so I'll sow my own.  They like roma types and tiny cherry bush ones and they all seem to grow just a few varieties so I'll stick to what I know but grab a few plants next week for giggles.  Chilies are coming on fine, first drawf beans are loving the heat and the weeds are going nuts.  We have been out today trying to clear some patches but I have had to revert to weedkiller on some couch grass..  Ground is really sticky clay so it's just like home - looking to get manure delivered as I think they have had years of blue pellets ferts and no organics.  Two guys I have found with composto\estrume - minimum delivery is 27 tons!  The other was a "lorry load" or 32m3!!  Oddly I can use it all - the issue is getting a lorry to reverse through the gate. 
I also need to branch out into growing a load of flowers which I really only started last year after years of growing veg...  The garden needs colour - luckily I bought loads of seeds and have found a few suppliers here.  The local monthly market is great - there is a seedsman who sells a great variety, even rhubarb seeds, and they also sell seed by the ounce..
Once I get organised I'll post some photos but we are in a perpetual mess atm
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 13:25:44 »
Had everything ready to go for weeks, but too cold, dark, wet and miserable to get out there and get going.

Went out this morning, seeds all sorted and ready waiting for the promised weather improvement - cold and wet again. But...... as we speak skies have suddenly cleared and a weird yellow ball has appeared in the sky. Yipee!

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2021, 15:35:43 »
I set Golden Bear onions as I have white rot at the allotment about 3 weeks ago in a heated propagator in the greenhouse. With a fortnight of really cold weather I brought them in the house and turned the propagator off to save a few pennies. Out off 120 I have above a hundred showing. I have now set another 120 onions in the propagator but with the higher forecast for the next week or so I am inclined to turn the propagator off. As a footnote I always grow Longor at shallots at the allotment setting last week of March. This year I set in October and they are doing really well under netting. I suffer from Downey Mildew and Allium Leaf Miner and hopefully they will miss both as the over winter onions seem to do. I try to get the onions up and potted on before my wife takes over the propagator with her tomatoes and chillies

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal