Author Topic: Lady Christi Potatoes  (Read 1694 times)

Plot22

• Half Acre
Lady Christi Potatoes
« on: January 20, 2021, 12:18:15 »
Has anyone any news on Lady Christi potatoes our allotment association informs me that this year they are totally unobtainable. I have called at a local garden centre which I only use very occasionally and they gave me the same story that there is none in the country. The association have been told by their supplier that it is extremely doubtful if there will ever be any Lady Christi again. It is my family's favourite early potato and I am
a little fortunate that I have saved enough of last years crop to set just one row. I know that people say that you should not save your own seed but I have never had any trouble by just saving a few and in this instance I wish I had saved a few more.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 12:55:47 by plot22 »

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
Re: Lady Christi Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 16:30:28 »
That is sad news. I very much like Lady Christl too. It seems to be the case as all the online seed companies say 'Out of stock'.
One helpful company was a bit more specific saying there's just one Scottish grower who had a crop failure this year. Perhaps statements that there will never be Lady Christl again are a bit alarmist. Let's hope:

murphy99

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 08:58:46 »
hi there is a company called carrolls heritage potatoes who have them expensive postage though

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 07:47:53 »
Saving your own is ok for a couple of years... "crop failure" doesn't quite mean what it says. Failure on a commercial level, too many tubers to small to meet trading standards... the grower will have enough to try them again. Would be very surprised if not in the catalogues again next year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal