Author Topic: The mutant strain  (Read 2957 times)

ACE

• Hectare
The mutant strain
« on: December 31, 2020, 20:25:47 »
We have had more people in the last week get infected on the island than we had all the time since it started. Just heard a nephew has got it, no worries he is young and fit. Then a few minutes later got a message from the allotment sec. telling us to keep up with the cleaning of the gate as one of the plot holders has gone down with it. The hospital has cancelled my
 second cataract op next week as they need to concentrate on the wards first and it is all hands to the pump. To tell the truth I was not really looking forwards to go into the hospital at the moment. I am staying in for a while now, no need to really go out.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: The mutant strain
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 20:57:24 »
Will be going out to see in the New Year... lots of fireworks in town, started already,
I need procedures on my wrists but can't see them happening for months yet... 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 12:29:14 »
My 75 year old mate who is a biology professor and served on the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation has refused to go to hospital to have his some work done on his stents and I cant say I blame him.  Hospital infection rates are are high..
An old work mate who is under 40 and healthy got Covid and was hospitalised for weeks - he is out of danger now but cannot taste or smell anything and as he put it "feels like a stranger in his own body" - totally knackered. 
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 14:12:14 »
Yes, it's nasty stuff - hopefully the new strain will prove to be less fatal (often the case with pathogens, the mutants that survive are the ones that infect most people, so tend to be more infectious and less dangerous - though I bet Nick's mate could tell us more), and will respond to the same vaccines. My bet is that it will - people have been studying coronaviruses in depth ever since SARS appeared first 20 years ago, and should have a good idea which bits of the spike protein are less likely to be affected by mutations, so will remain sensitive to the vaccine.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 16:14:45 »
Cornwall not getting off so lightly this time, and now in Tier 3, so still staying at home - but did get my first cataract op. two weeks ago - late cancellation before Christmas. Thought about it, grabbed it, and I can see, colours again!  The hospital was very careful, test 72hrs beforehand, plenty of space for each of us to be well apart, not allowed to have anyone accompany  you unless you were disabled but it was worth it.

Managed to do some garden tidying in the short breaks in the almost continuous downpour we have had since the early Autumn but the veg garden is just a muddy bog so leaving it alone until spring.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 16:37:45 »
Had my first cataract at the beginning of Dec, same as you all the tests and self isolate for 72 hours. Second op would have been next week but that has been postponed now. It has just got too silly to go out now and I have given it a month before   I start on the new year

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 08:45:50 »
It does seem to be spreading fast we went from less than 3 cases to over 40 in three weeks.  They were mostly in a local care home.  All but two of the staff had it and a few residents.  They had to move all the residents, no staff.  I bet the people in the homes where they were moved to were not best pleased.   I would have thought that they would have been particularly careful, and yet it still affected almost all the staff.   

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 18:00:44 »
Feeling sad, just heard that my old mate Dougie is on a ventilator, so fingers crossed he will be alright. He played the drums in my ceilidh band for a few years.

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 18:02:45 »
Sorry to hear that Ace. hope he is one of the lucky ones.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 21:27:42 »
Sorry to hear that Ace - hope he pulls through.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 11:01:27 »
F*ck. Sorry mods, sometimes a curse is the most apt response. Fingers crossed for him, Ace.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 11:58:38 »
I was told he was on life support, so with covid on my mind I presumed he had caught it. But it was life support for cancer. It does not make it any better as he is now off it in the hospice and waiting for nature to run it's course as they can only make him comfortable.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 13:01:53 »
Ah, nuts, All you can wish there is for comfort and a smooth pathway. We hoped Dad would turn up face down in his spuds one day, but in the end pneumonia did it. Still not easy for those left. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal