Author Topic: Raspberries  (Read 1997 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Raspberries
« on: January 07, 2021, 20:32:32 »
Is it a very bad idea to plant them where they were a few years previously?  Is there anything I can do about this?

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
Re: Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 07:26:38 »
I’m sure it’s usually advised against presumably because of the worry about disease being spread.

For practical reasons I’ve done it a few times, mainly because a particular variety has weakened or performed poorly and I’ve wanted to fill gaps. In one case I have a mixture of varieties coming up in that location but that doesn’t worry me. In another case the new ones haven’t really thrived either, presumably affected by whatever plagued the first batch. In a third case it’s worked very well.

So perhaps a bit of risk attached, but often lack of alternatives makes it worth a go.

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Raspberries
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 21:16:54 »
For many plants, repeatedly growing them in the same place has risks of (i) build up in the soil of pests and diseases to which they are susceptible and (ii) depletion of trace minerals or other substances in the soil which they require. That's in part why rotation of crops is practised (another being that some crops benefit from following certain others). So if you are goig to replant in the same bed, put in as much new soil and compost as you can, perhaps even dig out a trench to do this.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal