Author Topic: Jicama revisited  (Read 1491 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Jicama revisited
« on: December 31, 2020, 16:31:19 »
My eldest, who fancies himself as a bit of a foodie bought me some seeds a couple of years ago.
First year I didn't get them in early enough and there was next to no root, and we left them in too long so they split and got frosted, result no crop.

This year we got them in earlier, late April in a big greenhouse. The plants grew well and being day length sensitive we saw roots in late October. We earthed them up and kept them damp, so didn't get any splitting. With one thing or another we never dug them up until today. A couple had been seriously (mushy) frosted. We salvaged some and they are quite pleasant.
Has anyone any advice on how to store them if we dig them out earlier?
From the internet we have leant to store them dry like potatoes in sacks... but apparently this is only good for a couple of weeks. I am going to try again (seeds from Chiltern seeds and if necessary add them to the bonfire night celebrations next year!

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
Re: Jicama revisited
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 06:28:39 »
Jicama is new to me, so no experience to offer. Another sweetish root to put alongside yacon, Jerusalem artichokes etc, I suppose. Thanks. It sounds very interesting.

I have no idea really about storage but if you have a few, I suppose you could try one or two in the fridge and one or two in very slightly damp sand somewhere rodent proof. Those are the only two alternatives to storing dry in a paper sack that I can think of. If it turns out that it can’t be stored, freezing fresh or cooked would be the only other option perhaps. Trial and error and hedging your bets?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal