Author Topic: Help Help.quick..  (Read 1803 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Help Help.quick..
« on: December 17, 2020, 00:06:31 »
I went to check my potatoes that I had saved from my summer crop, they were in a dark cool place,,OK two weeks ago but today they have 9inch long shoots on them..is there anything I can do.. I could plant them in a raised bed in my greenhouse but would rather not,, maybe in big pots in the greenhouse..may be too cold, it is very thick glass, but I could wrap the pots and lift them off the floor.. what if I took the shoots off, would they grow more..Help if you can as I have no idea in December
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

peanuts

• Hectare
Re: Help Help.quick..
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 04:51:19 »
Jeanine, I'm sure you'll get the experts replying soon, but i'm up early! My Pink Fir Apple do that most years, when i've forgotten to check them in their paper bag in the dark.  I just rub off the shoots, and  then put them in open egg boxes somewhere cool and light - an unheated bedroom windowsill for example.  They produce more shoots, no problem, but much much more slowly and of good quality.  Good luck!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 07:40:17 »
I agree, they will grow more if you knock them off. I usually start chitting in January, putting them in trays indoors, but cool, to get sensible shoots for planting.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 04:44:15 »
Thank you both so much I have done tht now.gee these blooming Charlottes are almost giving me nightmares
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal