Author Topic: SATURDAY EVENING TELLY  (Read 2749 times)

ACE

• Hectare
SATURDAY EVENING TELLY
« on: December 13, 2020, 09:00:24 »
Bad enough when they gave the licence free. Now they want me to pay for this rubbish. Not that I watched it as I cannot stand the compere that squeaks like a little girl when he pretends to be excited.  I read that yesterdays celebrities end of the pier has beens could not answer the questions, surely they could have given Tony Blackburn an intelligence  test before they wheeled him out of the institution. I hope they did not pay them out of the tax payers pocket.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: SATURDAY EVENING TELLY
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 23:50:50 »
Sorry Ace, I've read this carefully and regret to say I haven't been watching anything this evening so really have not got a clue what you are referring to. More generally when it comes to the TV these days I find that one or other of changing channels / picking up a book / putting on some music and hitting the off button works for me.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 08:25:57 »
Sorry Ace but we love the BBC despite it's faults and think it is great value, anything we ever watch on a commercial channel has to be taped so that we can bypass the massive chunk of adverts. If the cost of adverts was available on the goods they try to sell it would be very revealing I suspect. We have been paying for the licence fee despite being entitled to a free one for the last few years.
Saturday nights is BBC4 night with foreign subtitles drama. Often really good (IMHO of course).  And with IPlayer screening lots of stuff at the moment there is plenty to choose from. We only watch television in the evening for about an hour and a half anyway so it's easy to find enough to fill that amount of time.
Then there is His Dark Materials on Sunday. So just ignore the dross and be picky in what you watch is our motto.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 10:28:17 »
Can't be bothered to watch most of the time, but somebody in the same room would have it wall to wall if she had the chance so I have the rubbish going on in my ear. I used to watch the morning news until every interview turned into a confrontation now I have alexa plugged into a sound bar or earphones and just listen to radio 4 for the news and an occasional play. If I do get a chance watching  the telly on my own I scroll through the thousands of channels that we seem to have and find some  good old blood and snot  movie to while away an hour or two. Don't know how it happened but the old stuff through the ariel went funny when they went digital so we got sky which also comes with netflix. Amazon prime for my free kindle books, music and postage (most will not post to our postcode). Then there are loads of free channels that came with the smart tv. Spoilt for choice and she watches that rubbish.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 11:15:20 »
Can't be bothered to watch most of the time, but somebody in the same room would have it wall to wall if she had the chance so I have the rubbish going on in my ear. I used to watch the morning news until every interview turned into a confrontation now I have alexa plugged into a sound bar or earphones and just listen to radio 4 for the news and an occasional play. If I do get a chance watching  the telly on my own I scroll through the thousands of channels that we seem to have and find some  good old blood and snot  movie to while away an hour or two. Don't know how it happened but the old stuff through the ariel went funny when they went digital so we got sky which also comes with netflix. Amazon prime for my free kindle books, music and postage (most will not post to our postcode). Then there are loads of free channels that came with the smart tv. Spoilt for choice and she watches that rubbish.

Snap!!!

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 13:46:20 »

My commiserations to both of you. We have very similar tastes and (in)tolerances. So it's not an issue in our house, and probably one of the reasons "The situation" is not affecting us much. We do listen to Radio 4 a lot for the news but it's all too depressing and repetitive at the moment.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 22:14:44 »
IMHO Stupid 'Celebs' doing stupid things is not entertainment .. on any channel .

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 08:28:49 »
IMHO Stupid 'Celebs' doing stupid things is not entertainment .. on any channel .

Agree, but then I remember when there were only three channels meant that there was less need to fill them all up with rubbish. The standard of "comedy" now is unbelievable and Radio 4's attempts are just as bad.
Having never understood why people are interested in celebs anyway it's easy to dismiss anything with them in. We watched Strictly for a long time but only because it was so amazing to watch non dancers turn into good dancers and admire the effort the professionals and dancers put in. But the culture that has grown round that has spoilt it. And we normally only know who one of the contestants actually is.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2020, 14:59:11 »
Used to have Radio 4 as my radio alarm in Belgium but we're out of range for LW here and, in any case, that radio alarm has now died.  I find I don't miss one bit the daily gloom, aggression from presenters and obfuscation from politicians et al on there.   

We do have Sky in the living room and Freeview in the kitchen.  OH can spend all day watching golf live but I can't be doing with televised sport or adverts so it's the Beeb for me too and any ITV is recorded so we can FF.   Saturday TV does tend to be dross tho we do love Strictly - mostly.   It's been a longtime since anything was really gripping so I tend to sit and sew or embroider  or look up plats o the net so the Scandinavian stuff so listen more than watch and that makes the Scandi dramas difficult.
Obxx - Vendée France

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 16:54:19 »
Radio four is on BBC sounds which means you get it on the internet. Those little smart speakers are good for it. I have an echo dot which doubles as a radio for every online podcast and radio station, plus just tell it what time you want the alarm and it wakes you with the radio of your choice. Magic little devil even plays calming sounds for going to sleep with. I can control it with the downstairs one so when somebody is being lazy and laying in bed I can instruct it to sound a loud thunderstorm on max volume. Which is the same as 'Alexa, make my breakfast' :sunny:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 18:06:06 »
A radio alarm is as techie as I want to get in the bedrooms and not needed since we retired.  OH brings me juice and coffee.

Obxx - Vendée France

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 19:47:12 »
just listen to radio 4 for the news and an occasional play

Ace, a big thank you.

I had quite forgotten just how good a well made radio play can be. Maybe because your own imagination has to create the scene they are often superb. I intend to do some catching up.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2020, 09:19:05 »
Like everything else by the BBC it has become a bit of a woke fest but there are still some good yarns to be listened to.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2020, 17:01:46 »
No BBC or ITV here - or Sky! 
I never really watched much telly, just an hour in the evening after dinner which is handy now as we don't really have much to watch.  I have Amazon Prime, some of which is available here so I watch that or download some old series.  I do have Portuguese TV which has BBC news and a few film channels which are subtitled with the original soundtrack so there is normally something to tune out to.  I can still get R4 if I can remember to tune in for the bits I like but I mainly listen to R6 Music or stream some sounds from my PC to my hi fi or smart speakers.  I got a nice little Marshall that I can take out to the field and bluetooth my phone to so I can l listen to my online playlists or stream some radio (if I get a signal)..
I have to download strictly for the OH but it gives me an excuse to get out for a while!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal