Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Leeks - can you grow them without transplanting

(1/3) > >>

newspud9:
As I lack the space at home to start things off in modules, I grow everything from seed on the allotment.  That said, does anyone have success growing leeks without transplanting them at all...or is that just wishful thinking and that at the very least they need a seed bed.  Thanks for all the comments.

Tee Gee:
Sprinkle around 20-25 seeds in a 5"-6" pot  and grow them on until planting out time.

Alternatively (if you have the patience sow as many seeds as you can ½" apart in a 5"-6" pot)

At planting out time carefully split the root ball up and plant individual seedlings into dibbled holes!

This method will save you  space!

Paulh:
I do what TG suggests but then plant out into a nursery row as I find they don't grow to the fabled pencil size in the pots. (I guess I need better seed compost or should give them some feed.) I transplant from that.

This year I tried the variety "Nipper" which you grow from seed as a mini-leek. The idea was to be able to grow them between the allium leaf miner danger periods. It sort of worked but the hot summer wasn't to their liking. And fifty mini-leek, however nice they are, is only 12 real leeks in size!

Digeroo:
I start mine off in a 500ml yoghurt pot, so it does not take up much room.  I suppose you could do this and put a plastic bag over the top and keep at at your allotment.
I never seem to get them to pencil size, but it does not seem to matter, once they are planted out the soon get going.
I simply take out the plants and wash off the potting compost, trim off some of the root, and throw them down a hole. 
I have sown some at the allotment and then moved them.  This worked ok.  They are also quite happy germinating under a plastic bottle, so keep off pests.
I find they need to go deeper into the soil to get a longer white section, so do need transplanting. 

ancellsfarmer:

--- Quote from: newspud9 on November 20, 2020, 16:48:03 ---As I lack the space at home to start things off in modules, I grow everything from seed on the allotment.  That said, does anyone have success growing leeks without transplanting them at all...or is that just wishful thinking and that at the very least they need a seed bed.  Thanks for all the comments.

--- End quote ---
Why not ask Father Christmas for a cold frame?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version