Author Topic: Too close for comfort  (Read 2672 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Too close for comfort
« on: November 08, 2020, 10:37:53 »
The whole of my grandsons year has been isolated. He has not popped in home this year like he used to for some sweets and a drink, but his brother has been in the garden last week. It's a belt and braces action where if one in his year catch it the rest get sent home as well.  It seems to be running rife in the schools here especially with the older pupils. They are pretty bomb proof, but it is those they come into contact with that have to worry. 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Too close for comfort
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 10:47:41 »
Before I left the UK I was working in a school - 1600 pupils and staff all together in one building.  Not surprisingly despite the best endeavors of the management lots of pupils and staff tested positive and I suspect a great many more would have if they had actually been tested. 
I understand the urge to keep schools open but I fear that they may have been in part responsible for the resurgence of COVID.
Here in Cartaxo there are few restrictions, everyone wears masks and keeps a good distance apart - they are very firm but polite about it. 
Went out for a curry the other nght!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 15:33:38 »
It all very worrying! If restrictions are lifted on the 2nd of December people will head for the shops to do Christmas shopping and soon after kids will be returning home from Uni. I fear COVID cases will increase and in January we may be back to where we are now😕
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 17:46:45 »
I can't help feeling that the school gate is a major point of Covid-contact (for want of a better phrase) -  as a friend says, it's all very well being in a bubble of 6 at school, but the moment they leave the building there's 300 people milling round. The kids will almost certainly be fine, but what about  the likes of pregnant mums, and parents' parents?
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 19:06:24 »
Yes I am so missing my Grandchildren's hugs too :(  Let's hope this vaccine turns out to be a good'un !   :coffee2: Debbie
Trespassers will be composted !

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 07:30:04 »
It is nice to hear that some people are keeping the right distance.  I went shopping a few of weeks ago and hardly anyone kept away.  There was an old couple being rather slow and so I waited for them but several people pushed past.    Decided that was the end, so now have everything delivered. 
People in my town are very good at distancing but come the weekend, the tourists arrive and they have no idea what 2 metres means.  They walk about in large groups taking up the entire pavement.  I ask people if it is the widts h of a single bed or the length and they invariably say the width if they say anything polite.
I do not know how they manage in schools here.  They isolated one year group, but but a large % of them are then bussed home in a different group.
There are still very few cases here.  I still do not know anyone who has tested positive.  Nearest I have got is my daughter knows someone who knows someone.  My husband had an accident on holiday and ended up in the hospital in Lancaster, so she ducked out of a work meeting just in case.  And one of them have been in the same building as someone who had it.  So rather than taking it she avoided having to isolate.  But they did find out just how bad the Lake District is for medical provision.
Swindon have taken over the private part of the hospital, separate entrance and single rooms, so they have managed to isolate it well and kept the rest running. 
The Royal Ag Uni have put up our numbers.  I really do not know why they did not insist that all the student isolated for two weeks before they arrived. 
They should have started the lockdown on the day it was announced, people seem to have gone mad for four days.  The numbers are still rising here.   
There seem to be children going into shops here during the day, presume when they are sent home from school the parents then taken them shopping.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 13:49:55 »
How would you have policed  a 2 week isolation of students before heading to uni?  Short of locking them in it's impossible.   Taking it on trust means exposing the ones who did isolate, along with their families, to the ones who didn't or couldn't.

I don't understand why so many people seem to have difficulties understanding and following the advice to maintain high personal hygiene, cover faces and keep a distance.  Some of them may learn the hard way but how many others will they have endangered, made sick or even caused to die before they do?

I do worry about people whose circumstances mean they have to take risks to get to work, can't get frequent supplies of masks because of costs, are seeing their children go backwards because they can't get enough food or schooling.  It's depressing in any country but especially in one so rich.

Thank goodness for the sanity of gardening and tending plants and crops with nature carrying on regardless all around.

Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal