Author Topic: Just off to plant a couple of rows of broad beans.......  (Read 5023 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Just off to plant a couple of rows of broad beans.......
« on: November 06, 2020, 12:06:01 »
OK. Old question I'm sure, but scar up? Scar down? Scar on its side edge on?  I've always planted scar down before, but is another way better?
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Just off to plant a couple of rows of broad beans.......
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 12:27:50 »
I seem to recall from distant school days (3rd year biology) that the roots and shoots come from the scar side so I always try to plant mine with the scar vertical.   However, I expect the urge to grow is such that the relevant roots and shoot bits sort themselves out whichever way up the seed is sitting.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 12:55:38 »
Might try a row each way. Just as long as they grow eventually. Just don't want them too big befor the spring winds, or I'll have to put supports in. 😁😁
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 14:11:04 »
This photo might help you decide:

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 15:48:13 »
Thanks TeeGee. Hope all is good with you. Planted DiMonica as a double row. Soil looks great and came back with leeks, celariac and first lot of sprouts.
P

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 15:48:53 »
Thanks TeeGee. Hope all is good with you. Planted DiMonica as a double row. Soil looks great and came back with leeks, celariac and first lot of sprouts. :glasses9 :blob7:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 08:54:29 »
Orientation of the seed will be of little consequence as the powers of geotropism will sort it out. Yes, its one of the( few) things remembered from school 50 odd years ago!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 10:58:37 »
Thanks for that.  Lol, I remember the "tropisms" too. Just that the "Great Gandalfs from compost corner" here make such a thing of it and, as a female, watched with a very stern eye! x

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2020, 07:41:57 »
Tropism is new to me.  I must have missed that at school.  But luckily my beans have got it undercontrol.  I presume the effect of gravity must have control to begin with.    I put  mine scar down because someone on here said it was best.  They have just started showing a bit of green and they have almost all turned slightly onto their sides.    I put mine slightly stickly out of the soil, so the green shoot is out of the soil and into the light asap.  And so I can watch them through the bottle cloches.  In another week I will remove the bottles and earth up the bean and draw the manure mulch round, and use the bottles for the next batch.   So far the rats, voles and squirrels have not been attacking the beans.   

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2020, 10:36:58 »
Tropism is new to me.  I must have missed that at school.  But luckily my beans have got it undercontrol.  I presume the effect of gravity must have control to begin with.    I put  mine scar down because someone on here said it was best.  They have just started showing a bit of green and they have almost all turned slightly onto their sides.    I put mine slightly stickly out of the soil, so the green shoot is out of the soil and into the light asap.  And so I can watch them through the bottle cloches.  In another week I will remove the bottles and earth up the bean and draw the manure mulch round, and use the bottles for the next batch.   So far the rats, voles and squirrels have not been attacking the beans.   
Its not that great to go out today so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCuXNmsNNac
« Last Edit: November 14, 2020, 10:43:07 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 18:20:43 »
I like that a lot.  The root starts after only a couple of days so I presume that they have swollen already when planted.  I have mine of kitchen roll and it takes about 5 days to get the first show of root.  P

I found this one too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIUnMOGWjsA
And this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w77zPAtVTuI
I like the way the bean dances to the blue danube waltz!!
We used to grow broad bean on  blotting paper in a jam jar with water at the bottom. 
I must see if I can film some.  This looks like fun winter project.
Seems I just need an app.  I have a spare phone!! 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2020, 09:14:52 »
Had hoped to get some aquadulce in yesterday... maybe tomorrow.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 11:42:11 »
Just planted a double row of Aquadulce CLaudia today.  I found they gave a better crop this season.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 21:05:58 »
Did get mine in this week.. pre-soaked and under a glass layer until they come through... checking daily.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal