Author Topic: Spear & Jackson 3167EL Allotment Hoe - Blue  (Read 2842 times)

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
Spear & Jackson 3167EL Allotment Hoe - Blue
« on: November 19, 2020, 17:04:48 »
I believe this tool is no longer available as I purchased it from a local surplus store.   It is a very versatile tool but came with no instructions as to what sort of use it can be put to, apart from hoeing.   Can anyone help?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Spear & Jackson 3167EL Allotment Hoe - Blue
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 18:41:46 »
This is the spec published by Amazon

A tool shed essential for allotment users.

This Hoe from Spear & Jackson is designed to weed, turn and prepare the soil all in one tool.

The multi-function head can Hoe, Rake, and create neat furrows for planting.

It has a stainless steel head for Minimal soil adhesion when hoeing, providing a neat result every time, while being sturdy enough to make light work of compacted soil.

The design of this Hoe is light but durable and the soft non-slip handle ensures comfortable use throughout.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 19:53:34 »
I reckon its a tool for 'buying and selling'. Not something I would have a use for
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 06:28:05 »
There are a lot of new gardeners and allotmenteers that have emerged from the lockdown. The tool companies have cottoned on that they could be gullible and richer than us established, skip diving, make and mend tightwads. It does seem expensive for what it is. Stick to the the traditional is best, but the other year I was given a Spear and Jackson swoe type hoe for posing with it at a garden show. It went to the back of the shed until it was the nearest to hand one day for a quick job. I would not use any other type now.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 09:20:57 »
Having found a picture of the allotment hoe online, I'd say it looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist!

The swoe looks more useful.

My problem with most hoes is understanding how best to use them. I need to find an online tutorial.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 11:40:09 »
Been using a WIlkinson Dutch Hoe for the last 6 years. Now weapon of choice.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 15:20:00 »
I've said it here before but it bears repeating. I've had my swoe for at least 20 years, it's like an extension of my arm. So light, so effective, cleans up a treat. That, a small pair of secateurs and a cut-down carving knife , I'm good to go.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal