Author Topic: Spring bulbs springing up - help!  (Read 3172 times)

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
Spring bulbs springing up - help!
« on: November 05, 2020, 14:31:28 »
Taking advantage of a bright autumnal day in mid-October, I planted up several pots of spring bulbs and put them in the garden shed.  This morning I was horrified to find some of the pots already sprouting.  Any tips on what I should do?  I didn't think they would start showing this side of the new year.  All I can think of is bringing them out of the shed and putting the pots in a sheltered spot in the hope that the growth will slow down - hopefully the plants won't die.
Weeds? What weeds?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Spring bulbs springing up - help!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 16:48:42 »
They'll be fine but do go with your instincts and put them in a sheltered spot so the shoots get light.   They'll slow down when it gets cold.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 17:19:25 »
They'll be fine but do go with your instincts and put them in a sheltered spot so the shoots get light.   They'll slow down when it gets cold.

I agree with Obelixx!

I noticed this morning that new growth is showing in one of my troughs, and they have been outdoors since I planted them up!

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 18:23:56 »
Thanks folks - I'll keep an eye on them and on the ones in the shed.  We have had a very mild autumn so far here in the west of Ireland.
Weeds? What weeds?

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2020, 21:00:08 »
I have long been fascinated by the way in which many plants behave as if spring has arrived even though it is still autumn. Last season I saw apple and cherry blossom in autumn. Just a few days ago I spotted some flowers on a few plants in my strawberry bed. 

I tend to the view that it is the similar day length and temperatures that causes this, but in truth, who knows.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal