Author Topic: Calabrese  (Read 2087 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Calabrese
« on: November 01, 2020, 18:22:38 »
Done well this year.  The plants were awful very droopy.  I almost threw them away.  But once in the soil they perked up.  Started cropping July.  When I cut the big first head I fed them and I have had Brocolli now for four solid months.  They have been very well fed.  Pick, feed, pick, feed!!
Big problem,  I have no idea what variety they were.
What variety do folks recommend for repeat cropping?   
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 18:24:27 by Digeroo »

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
Re: Calabrese
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 16:03:05 »
Being hardly the green thumb with brocolli or calabrese I have nothing useful to add except to congratulate you on your success.

There's an interesting open-pollinated cross of calabrese and Russian kale - 'Purple Peacock' - extremely attractive 'eat-all' plant that may interest you.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 08:27:11 »
I was given some broccoli plants from an allotment neighbour and they have turned out to be repeaters, which is new to me.
Awaiting any hints as to best variety with interest.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 13:40:14 »
I have had a look for the Purple Peacock.  Sound interesting but the seeds do not seem to be avaible in the UK.   My daughter used to travel regularly to the USA and via a friend brought me back seeds.  (She always declared them).  One company rather nicely gave me an extra packet free and it had to be thrown away   I also want wrinkle crinkle cress which has disappeared here. 
I have chosen a couple of types of broccoli seed and hope one does well repeating. 
I have been covering the broccoli on cold nights but now I am leaving it to the winter.  But only just stopped getting a nice little green bouquet every few days.
Now just waiting on the russian kale to set flowers, it will hopefully not be long. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal