Author Topic: A few days off  (Read 2135 times)

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
A few days off
« on: October 30, 2020, 11:53:49 »
Got a few days away from trying to control p*ssed up students rampaging on Nottingham trams, so will be tackling my shed roof,which as started leaking .now do i replace the felt or do I go for  corrugated bitumen roofing sheets.....decisions.....decisions

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: A few days off
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 14:28:52 »
I would go for felt if you are in an exposed area, corrugated sheeting is prone to being blown off in these situations.

As an aside;I have just had my dormer roof covered with this stuff and I really like it!

https://www.firestonebpe.com/en/products/roofing/residential/rubbercover-epdm

I have no idea of the relative costs of the three coverings suggested here, perhaps you could 'google' some prices!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 15:15:29 »
I used the corrugated bitumen sheets a few years ago. marvelous stuff and reasonably priced. My old shed was left on the plot when I moved plots as this one already had a shed, but if it starts leaking the corrugated sheets will go straight on.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 16:27:09 »
The only thing I would say about the bitumen sheets is if there's nothing underneath, they will sag into the gap. I'm guessing that won't be an issue as the previous roof was felt, but thought I'd mention it.

Now if it would just stop raining here long enough to put my shed up...
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 18:00:29 »
Have a good look at the condition of the felt before deciding.  If the roof and felt are still mainly sound, consider a high performance roof seal.  2.5 litres will set you back between £20 and £30. Does a good job and lasts well, but it won't be effective if the felt is loose or flapping about.  Could save some money,
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 18:26:55 »
The only thing I would say about the bitumen sheets is if there's nothing underneath, they will sag into the gap.
   I could stand on mine, only a 4 foot length but strong enough and driving a nail through the raised bit took a big hammer as I did not want to fix it through the channel and make it leak.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 20:34:42 »
Hmm. Maybe I'm thinking of something else - thick, black-coloured corrugated roofing sheet, so I assumed that was the ones.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 20:57:07 »
Yes that is the stuff, but it has woven in  fibre matting and a gritty dusting to dissipate heat. It didn't even seem to swell in the heat and never any sagging.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal