Author Topic: Preparing for Winter  (Read 4309 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Preparing for Winter
« on: October 28, 2020, 13:37:02 »
Started preparing for winter on Monday morning and as I am placing the stuff I want to protect from the potential ravages of winter under glass, I decided to use this section of the forum.

Thought I would give you the 'Garden Tour' to show you how things stand;

Pics 1 & 2: I emptied my 8x6 greenhouse on Monday, Washed the glass on Tuesday and put these plants in this morning (Wed)

Pic 3: Partially filled cold frame closed for the winter and a few bags of rubbish ready to be taken to the tip.

Pic 4: another partially filled cold frame.

Pic 5: I plan on tidying up these Cyclamen before I plant them out in the Rockery.

Pic 6: The Rockery.

Pic 7: Inside my heated greenhouse or put it another way; my winter work house!

Pics 8 & 9;  A few perennial seedlings progressing that hopefully will survive till planting out time next year!

This is how various parts of my garden are looking as of this morning;

Pic10: View across my Front Garden.

Pic 11: Patio part prepared for Spring with pots of Crocus, Daffodils, Alliums, and Tulips.

Pic 12:The Heather bed.

Pic 13: What used to be my Herbaceous Border.

Pic 14: My Pot Store  ('Grot Spot') tidied up and pots & trays WASHED in readiness for next season!

Pic 15: My late supply of Carrots aptly named 'Eskimo'

Pic 16: View from Greenhouse Door.

I hope you enjoyed a walk around my particularly you people who are in 'Lock down' like me! (T2)

gray1720

• Hectare
Re: Preparing for Winter
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 14:54:42 »
*lesser mortal creeps quietly away, struck dumb by the spectacle*
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 19:01:29 »
Good to see that you are setting us a good example. Not quite ready to do this 'down South'; winter arrives (or not) later than the 'Blasted North'.
 Complicated for me this year as the plan is for another, larger, greenhouse on a different site. Yet to be completed.Unfortunately the existing will not be concurrent.  May have to 'bed& breakfast ' pots somewhere else .Have already discounted early sowings (probably not cost effective in any case.) Aim to be fully ready for action by mid February. We shall see.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 21:32:57 »
I'm worn out just looking at it!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 22:38:51 »
Impressive stuff Tee Gee and, I hope, satisfying.

Still getting to mid to high teens here by day so all we've done so far is move pots of citrus and fuchsias to the polytunnel because nights did, briefly, turn cold a week or so ago.   
Obxx - Vendée France

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 06:40:02 »
Yes, impressive work and enviable order, Tee Gee.

Not done a lot here either to shut things down or move into protection gear.

Lots of spreading of compost and rotted manure and woodchip onto veg beds and occasionally flower beds which is what I like to do at this time of year as a few beds become vacant. Still a couple of tomato plants hanging on in the polytunnel. Lots of seed gathering. Small piles and pots of drying seeds in two or three rooms in the house.
No very low night temperatures forecast for another few days.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2020, 16:53:51 »
Actually, I have achieved something for the winter ("Something for the winter, Sir? - a bigger pack, perhaps?) - as of about 4pm I have finished digging manure into my second half-plot - everything that can be dug for the winter on it is now dug, the rest still has veg in. It needed to be done *now* as if it's a wet winter I won't get on it until April, by which time it wil race away from me (again...). It's done! And my preccautionary trip to the osteopath should be much less painful than I'd expected too, as I can still move.

The other half plot is less urgent as it's high enough to be diggable in almost any conditions - though the more I get done now, the more time can be dedicated to  erecting and fitting out the shed. I fear, however, that the electrics will go in post-pandemic, meaning I will have an empty shed sat there tempting me...

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 18:43:27 »
I am trying  to overwinter my peppers in my unheated greenhouse along with geranium cuttings and also seeing if some lettuce, radish carrots and onions will give me an early crop next year so time will tell 
Barnsley S Yorks

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 19:57:38 »
I am trying  to overwinter my peppers in my unheated greenhouse along with geranium cuttings and also seeing if some lettuce, radish carrots and onions will give me an early crop next year so time will tell 
Good ventilation, and observation for overwintering white/green fly will be paramount.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 20:42:10 »
I agree with Ancell and would add ‘go easy on the watering’ as overdoing this can lead to numerous things not least lowering the soil temperature. Just imagine how you feel if your socks and shoes get too wet during winter! Similarly most people don’t sweat as much  during the winter months and neither do plants meaning over watering may cause botrytis to form on your lettuce and geraniums.

I wish you the best of luck with your venture...Tg

cudsey

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 19:21:09 »
Thanks for advice I am seeing if the veg works but definitely hope the peppers stay healthy   
Barnsley S Yorks

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2020, 16:47:05 »
My winter prep thus far in piccies. The surviving asparagus from my old bed will get moved in with the new ones (the big plant in the other photo is, I think, now far too big to move easily, so it will just have to sit where it sprouted unbidden. All the turned soil, except where the garlic is, has muck under it.

Lockdown The Second gives me the fun of trying to lift roof panels onto a shed with the person at the other end being 5'4" tall. Should be a larf.

pumkinlover

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 08:57:40 »

Lockdown The Second gives me the fun of trying to lift roof panels onto a shed with the person at the other end being 5'4" tall. Should be a larf.

That's quite tall then  :glasses9:

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 19:59:53 »
My winter prep thus far in piccies. The surviving asparagus from my old bed will get moved in with the new ones (the big plant in the other photo is, I think, now far too big to move easily, so it will just have to sit where it sprouted unbidden. All the turned soil, except where the garlic is, has muck under it.

Build them a ramp to ascend to the height required, could be 1 extra laugh!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 21:05:16 »
That's quite tall then  :glasses9:

I've got five inches they haven't... But enough about that, I'm five inches taller. If I borrow you, you could stand on their shoulders? Oh bugger, against the rules!

pumkinlover

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 08:31:05 »
We have a collection of milk crates, (Mr PKL seems to acquire them hopefully from skips I think!) they are really useful at times.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal