Produce > Under Glass

Preparing for Winter

<< < (2/4) > >>

JanG:
Yes, impressive work and enviable order, Tee Gee.

Not done a lot here either to shut things down or move into protection gear.

Lots of spreading of compost and rotted manure and woodchip onto veg beds and occasionally flower beds which is what I like to do at this time of year as a few beds become vacant. Still a couple of tomato plants hanging on in the polytunnel. Lots of seed gathering. Small piles and pots of drying seeds in two or three rooms in the house.
No very low night temperatures forecast for another few days.

gray1720:
Actually, I have achieved something for the winter ("Something for the winter, Sir? - a bigger pack, perhaps?) - as of about 4pm I have finished digging manure into my second half-plot - everything that can be dug for the winter on it is now dug, the rest still has veg in. It needed to be done *now* as if it's a wet winter I won't get on it until April, by which time it wil race away from me (again...). It's done! And my preccautionary trip to the osteopath should be much less painful than I'd expected too, as I can still move.

The other half plot is less urgent as it's high enough to be diggable in almost any conditions - though the more I get done now, the more time can be dedicated to  erecting and fitting out the shed. I fear, however, that the electrics will go in post-pandemic, meaning I will have an empty shed sat there tempting me...

cudsey:
I am trying  to overwinter my peppers in my unheated greenhouse along with geranium cuttings and also seeing if some lettuce, radish carrots and onions will give me an early crop next year so time will tell 

ancellsfarmer:

--- Quote from: cudsey on October 29, 2020, 18:43:27 ---I am trying  to overwinter my peppers in my unheated greenhouse along with geranium cuttings and also seeing if some lettuce, radish carrots and onions will give me an early crop next year so time will tell 

--- End quote ---
Good ventilation, and observation for overwintering white/green fly will be paramount.

Tee Gee:
I agree with Ancell and would add ‘go easy on the watering’ as overdoing this can lead to numerous things not least lowering the soil temperature. Just imagine how you feel if your socks and shoes get too wet during winter! Similarly most people don’t sweat as much  during the winter months and neither do plants meaning over watering may cause botrytis to form on your lettuce and geraniums.

I wish you the best of luck with your venture...Tg

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version