Author Topic: Messing around during "Lockdown"  (Read 3549 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Messing around during "Lockdown"
« on: October 16, 2020, 14:51:41 »
To pass the time during 'Lockdown' I have been messing around with my photo collection.

Firstly I took all the prints I have taken over the years out of the various boxes I had stored them in and scanned them so that I can store them on my computer.

Its amazing how many photos I have,  more so since the advent of the 'Digital Camera'

Would you believe it I have catalogued around 29k of them ?

This is where you guys come in: I would like you to come up with suggestions on which way you think I should go.

My first thought is to collate all the photos of my Grandchildren and put them on a 'Flash Drive' and give them one apiece so that they can look back on themselves since the day they were born. (At least they wouldn't have to store them in biscuit boxes like I do)

I am also thinking about turning these prints & digital photos into videos.

Yesterday I practised on some digital photos I have taken on walks I often take.

(For those that do not know  I live in the countryside that "Last of the Summer Wine" was filmed in, so I thought I would try out my conversion skills on a few of these!)

Take a look and feel free to give warts and all feedback:

https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Test%20Area/Video%20tests/Armitage%20Bridge.mp4

https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Test%20Area/Video%20tests/Digley%20Reservoir.mp4

https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Test%20Area/Video%20tests/Magdale-21-06-16.mp4

I see this task as a good way to keep the 'grey matter' between my ears fluid during the isolation of 'lockdown' and the forthcoming winter!

I look forward to your comments! Tg

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: Messing around during "Lockdown"
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 17:24:41 »
TG,

Amazing. You do more in a day than most people do in a year.

If I realised that I had 29,000 photographs to scan, I'd be a gibbering wreck.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 18:13:51 »
I expect it's like how to eat an elephant - one bite at a time.

Love the idea of giving a memory stick to each of the grandkids TeeGee.   Will look at your links later as busy cooking now, honest.
Obxx - Vendée France

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 21:07:38 »
Or one byte at a time!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 09:31:09 »
You made me look at my Pictures folder on my PC.
Admittedly a lot were my Dad's who spent ages scanning a load of his old pics but I think the majority are mine.
120,000!  350Gb.
First thing that I would say is to make sure you have backups!  Mine are all in the cloud and copied to my wife's PC daily.
These days I tend to just share folders on google (other services are available) rather than do physical copies - and I can cast them to all the TVs in the house if I want to see them BIG...
So for example here is my new house in Portugal with contributions from OH..
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RSeJMZGnFpNDBBvx7
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 10:36:11 »
Surprising how the numbers build up isn't it Nick?

Like you I have backups on Google,Flickr etc but my filing is a bit of a mess.

I am finding that on occasions I have duplicates of duplicates which all add to the file/s size.

My plan over the next few months is look at all my photos and 'thin' them out and get rid of any I deem rubbish (I'm a hoarder) then when this task is completed I will develop a better filing system then  file them away on some online storage site. Possibly Amazon which because I am a 'Prime' subscriber I find that the other facilities that go with membership makes it a very versatile set up!

Obviously my haphazard filing system is backed up regularly,

So much for my photos! I had a look at yours and was very impressed but I must ask the question did the house come fitted out like this or is what I saw a combination of your own stuff that you have shipped out from the UK and pre-fitted stuff?

Either way it was lovely and I hope you have a long and happy stay there!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 11:15:05 »
My filing or tagging is useless too!  I really should invest some time in deduping and indexing them - maybe there will be time when I get abroad.
I used to Love Picassa from google and still have it installed but it was discontinued ages ago..

As to the house - all of that is the previous owners stuff.  When we went out to get keys we found everything had gone - even light fittings!  So we have a fair bit to do when we get there but it will be winter so we will have time..
The kitchen is still fitted so we have a fridge at least!  We are paying a huge sum of money to get our stuff moved out there but in two weeks time I should be there with my stuff.
I forgot about Amazon - I think all my pics are on there as well!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 13:58:25 by BarriedaleNick »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 17:32:40 »
My iPhone seems to have a very good camera these days, would it be quicker to just photograph my old photos than scan them....?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 08:46:55 »
Is that a bread oven Nick? Sorry off topic!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 14:38:07 »
Yes it is and I cant wait to use it!
Ill prolly start a thread once I get there..

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 17:03:35 »
Yes a memory stick would be good.  But also maybe a photobook of the family tree.  As you are of a certain age, maybe you have pictures and information going back several generations and the grandkids might treasure a family tree with a few words about all their ancestors.  Seeing their parents as youngsters will be fun too.  :wave:   

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 18:35:53 »
Yes a memory stick would be good.  But also maybe a photo book of the family tree.

Two great minds think alike it would seem!

My Family Tree goes back to the mid 1700s

I made a Photo Book of the first ten years of the four grandkids and gave it to the wife for her Christmas in 2010 (There are eight years between the oldest & youngest)

....and as I have already mentioned I want to give each of the grandkids a 'memory stick' when I complete the cataloguing!

It would be nice if I could complete this by Christmas, so that I can give them one each for a Christmas present, but the more I look at the photos I think I am going to have to go back to the drawing board.

To explain;

My Son & Daughter have two children each and yes I can extract individual photos of each child to carry out my original plan.

But on looking at the overall content of the photos I see that each child is often seen with;

a) Their Sibling
b) Their Mum & Dad (singly and together)
c) As a whole family
d) With their grandparents.(singly and together)

e)Then they are seen similarly with their cousins, aunties & uncles and again the grandparents.(a total of 10 people)

Resulting in quite a permutation of photos and who am I to separate the 'family unit'?

My initial thoughts is to put a number of 'folders' onto each memory stick to cover all or some of the above permutations.

Only time will tell what I will end up doing but if any of you have any ideas I would be pleased to hear them.

So based on this I will have to be thinking of a different Christmas present for each of them! (assuming we are allowed to get together at Christmas)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 18:56:59 »
I don't see a problem with mixed group photos TeeGee.  On the contrary, they'll love it later on when they look back on who they were, what they looked like when, how they spent time together and shared fun and experiences and family life.

Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal