Author Topic: butternut squash  (Read 2077 times)

lezelle

• Acre
butternut squash
« on: October 13, 2020, 09:20:04 »
Hi Ya, I have been given a butternut squash, I like the item and would like to grow my own. I looked to buy some seed but can only find F1 and I believe they do not grow the same from saved seed. I did one site selling 10 organic seeds for £2.25 and then add postage wow. Anyone grown the F1 or know where I can get some seed at a reasonable price. Cheers all

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 10:05:17 »
The Waltham butternut is a good variety for the UK and has a smaller seed cavity so more flesh.  You only need one or two plants a year so the average seed packet content should last you 3 or 4 years.   Real Seeds stock it.

Honeynut is another butternut available from Plants of Distinction.

Dobies and Sutton's also have butternuts so check their catalogues online and compare varieties and prices and numbers of seeds to determine which will suit you best.
Obxx - Vendée France

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2020, 10:08:25 »
Waltham butternut is arguably not an F1. It's a very old variety which I have grown successfully in the past. Seedparade.co.uk have 10 seeds for 99p plus  £1.99 postage. Seedaholic.com offer 10 organic seeds for £1.85 plus postage. 

Tricia  :wave:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 09:00:42 »
I like Butternut Squash Sweetmax - It is an F1 but produces great fruit which are large, a nice deep orange and have a small seed cavity.
I'd like to grow one where I can save my own seed but I am not sure it is worth it given the tendency to cross readily..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 09:15:08 »
It is definitely worth it if you learn how to isolate and handpollinate for pure seeds, BarriedaleNick.  Because butternuts are the most warmth loving of the commonly grown squashes as they are cucurbita moschata, your own seeds will be better adjusted to cooler climates.  And will further adjust the more often you grow from your own seeds.  :wave: 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal