Author Topic: Hedgerows  (Read 3533 times)

AnnieD

• Half Acre
  • Royston, North Herts, very chalky
Hedgerows
« on: October 10, 2020, 10:39:12 »
Anybody got any nice recipes for using Haws, Hips, etc. Obviously I'm not going to rape the countryside, but there are so many I feel I could take a few. I used to have a recipe for like a summer pudding with hedgerow fruits, but no idea where it is.
Thanks
Located in Royston, North Herts.

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Hedgerows
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 13:17:49 »
I haven't tried making it but I have seen people posting about making Hedgerow Jam so might be worth a Google, hope you find something :)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 13:35:54 »
https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/food/recipes/preserves-sauces/hedgerow-jam

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/user/331657/recipe/hedgerow-jelly-jam

These both look good.  I imagine you have to strain it due to some of the seeds, remembering my schooldays and having "itching powder" put down the back of my neck - rosehip seeds!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 20:02:20 »
I did that one bumper autumn when the hedgerows were full of haws and hips and I had loads of crab apples.   Crab apple jelly lovely.  Hedgerow jelly awful and a nightmare to strain to be sure all the hairs out of the rose hips make it a long, slow process.
Obxx - Vendée France

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 14:22:28 »
Slow gin is a good one for hedgerow fruit.  I make mine without sugar, it is not necessary.  Have also made morello gin in past years, great Christmas tipple that we diabetics can enjoy too and you can always make it for the rest of the family with sugar in the traditional way and a small portion without.    :wave:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 16:24:47 »
Damson gin is really good, especially if you leave it for about 10 years cos you  forgot about it, not being spirit drinkers.   Goes liqueur like.

Round here they make an apéro called Trouspinette.   It's basically a grape based eau de vie (lethal) flavoured with the spring shoots of spiny sloe plants.  Similar sweetness and richness to Pineau de Charente and I've met lots of locals who make it and are astonished when I tell them we Brits make sloe gin with the fruits.
Obxx - Vendée France

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 21:13:13 »
"Slow gin is a good one for hedgerow fruit."

My gins tend to be quick ones!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 21:21:40 »