Author Topic: Peppers  (Read 2156 times)

Paulines7

• Hectare
Peppers
« on: September 28, 2020, 11:06:55 »
Just a quick question as I am off out shortly, but I want advice on my Sweet Pointed and Bell peppers please.  They seem to be suffering in the cold weather despite being in the greenhouse.  I have been picking the ones that have changed colour but should I harvest those that feel ripe but are still green?  I don't want to lose them. 

Your help is much appreciated.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Peppers
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 11:46:58 »
Crystal ball job this! e.g depends upon the upcoming weather! :sunny:

I had a look at my lot (which are very late this year) and they sound as if they are similar to yours.

I have decided to leave mine as they are for the time being!

What I will do is ease off on the watering as cold and damp is not good for them, this combination can cause botrytis to develop!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2020, 17:23:10 »
I dont mind them green but with a fair wind you could be picking them for another month or so..
Unless they start to rot I'd leave them and see what happens.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 00:59:26 »
Thanks for your replies. 

Some of my peppers have started to rot despite cutting down on the watering.  I am also getting a lot of holes in them but whatever is feeding on them, they are keeping out of sight.  I must admit that the plants have a lot of foliage on them so if I thinned the leaves out, the peppers may change colour sooner as it would allow the sun to get to them if and when it decides to come out of hiding.   

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 08:55:23 »
I don’t overwinter any peppers or chillies, so I cut my plants right back, taking off all the growing tips and flowers to leave just the fruits a few weeks ago this year. I pick the fruit when really ripe and that encourages the rest to ripen. Chillies have a bit of bottom heat from my open Vitapod propagator which keeps them going long enough to ripen and the greenhouse doors are kept closed now. I also reduce the watering right down and stop completely for the tomatoes and peppers at the end of September and only occasionally for the chillies. Works for me!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 13:38:57 »
Some years I've had holes in my peppers from something that has no interest in slug pellets of any kind.

I was very confused until I found a big bright green caterpillar on one - it was near the exact diameter of the holes. I used to see a very similar one on my nectarines many years ago - it always seemed to be a solitary kind that are very good at hiding

I always leave the peppers in my polytunnel to ripen towards red until the first frosts outside - then I clear the lot - there's no way you are going to end the season without some green ones, but some recipes specify them.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 20:10:15 »
Thanks for your replies.  I will take the growing tips and flowers off as you suggest Deb P and get some of the large leaves off too.  I might be able to see what is eating the fruit then and the peppers will have a chance to ripen.  I found a huge slug on the leaves a couple of months ago but haven't seen any since.  Maybe, like you Vinlander, I will find some caterpillars.  There are a lot of moths and butterflies still around at the moment.   

I was surprised at how warm it was outside tonight. so hopefully no frost. 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal