Author Topic: Low-priced tiller - what a game changer  (Read 2586 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Low-priced tiller - what a game changer
« on: September 25, 2020, 14:00:57 »
My "questions asked" to "suggestions offered" ratio on this forum is appalling so here's an attempt to redress things.  After endless moaning about trying to break up my clay-based soil no matter how much compost/manure I added, I cashed in my pension to get an 18v cordless tiller. It's probably one of the smallest on the market but its performance was excellent after the sun baked solid parts of the plot the other week, it even broke up easily parts that have been compacted solid for years.  40 minutes on one charge and I reckon it will take no more than a few days to get the whole plot done nicely... compared to the never-ending struggle of boulder breaking with a fork and bag after bag of soil improver.  I'd always been wary of the cheaper end garden gadgets (burnt before), but as they say, if only I'd found this 15 years ago. Thoroughly recommended toy for the plot.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Low-priced tiller - what a game changer
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 19:02:16 »
What make is it? I’ve got a Mantis but always struggle to start it.....🥴
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 20:40:03 »
Now that sounds what I am looking for. I have a petrol 3.5 HP tiller that is now too heavy for me to handle . An old Mantis 4 stroke that is an absolute pig to start.
If you buy two batteries you could add an extra 40 mins on!

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 22:39:53 »
It’s from The Handy Range. Never heard of them before. They have a website and I got mine from a local garden centre.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 06:07:36 »
I’ve had a log splitter made by The Handy for about ten years. It’s powerful and solid and has never given a moment’s trouble.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal