Author Topic: Stopping Badgers eating Sweetcorn  (Read 2190 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Stopping Badgers eating Sweetcorn
« on: September 27, 2020, 20:43:50 »
Today I went to the lotty to find my sweetcorn completely devastated by badgers - as have other allotment holders recently. We had no sign of badgers until a couple of years ago. Our site is in suburban Birmingham near a railway line and a small river.
Has anyone actually found an effective of stopping them getting at the sweetcorn? On the web the only methods that seem effective involve the sort fencing needed to stop foxes getting at chickens or electric fences (which aren't an option on our site!)

gray1720

• Hectare
Re: Stopping Badgers eating Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 21:50:41 »
Unfortunately they are very hard to keep out - they'll tunnel under nearly anything (round our way there are some in a 1930s rubbish dump, happily tunnelling through ash and broken glass), and another local allotment is bounded by a six-feet high fence with the railway line... but the beggars will climb that! A friend runs the local CCTV and apparently the badgers shin up one side and, as they aren't very good at climbing down, just roll over the top and plop down like drop bears.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 22:39:11 »
Has anyone actually found an effective of stopping them getting at the sweetcorn?

In a word - no.

That said, we do not actually have any that are resident on our site.  They seem to forage more widely as day length shortens and they can then arrive from nearby wooded areas and move safely under cover of darkness. They do not seem to visit much in the summer months.  So if you can get your sweet corn grown and harvested reasonably early, you may be less likely to encounter problems.

In October and November I have often had badger visits digging up main crop carrots.  But by then my sweet corn are eaten or picked and frozen. I tolerate some losses as I do the problem of moles that criss cross my plots. I feel I have to work alongside nature rather than against it.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 09:12:49 »
Its a growing problem with a burgeoning population of brocks. They are a protected species, so no lawful methods of control without licence. Apart from crop damage ,they also are a carrier/transmitter of bovine tuberculosis, which is contagious to some other species including humans, deer, goats, pigs, cats, dogs . They also predate hedghogs and account for the dwindling numbers of that population.Like urban foxes, they are drawn to an easier life within our communities, especially as some folk actively encourage them with free meals.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 09:01:36 »
I grow mine within a 2ft high barrier made from double walked plastic sheet from an old conservatory roof on top of a raised bed, which gives protection from the winds and late frosts after planting out. I’ve had a bit of damage from birds if I leave the ripe ones on a bit late but I’m not sure it would deter badgers but might be worth a go?!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal