Author Topic: They come and they go  (Read 1984 times)

ACE

• Hectare
They come and they go
« on: September 16, 2020, 12:43:53 »
New plot holders moving out, they were not here long as his £750 rotovator is still under warrantee. Now it is my £200 rotovator. Big 700 dov Briggs and Stratton engine so it should be bomb proof and do all I want it to do.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: They come and they go
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 13:28:41 »
Don't let it run away with you!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 12:44:11 »
Great machine, although I had already cleared a patch and spread manure by hand, I  ran it over the same bit. It burrowed in and going forwards it dug deeper than my hand efforts, end of the row no struggling to turn it, reverse lever and it climbs back out ready to spin around and come back up the row chunking away at 30" at a time. 20 minutes rotovating the 4 hours I took by hand. Only one setback, the door to my shed was not wide enough but a little hinged flap soon cured that.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 17:26:37 »
Delighted that you've got a bargain. Recommend you padlock it to the shed and padlock your little flap as well! Am sure your time saved will be needed to counter the output of the deeper seed bank, but there you go.
No -dig for me.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 13:26:30 »
Not bad eh,

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 17:13:14 »
Bellissimo !!
I have nothing further to add to my remarks above !

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 09:51:21 »
Each to their own on no dig, I like my way of doing it with reasonable results. Some times I say to people struggling to clear their plots to try a bit of no dig, but I expect wheeling all the medium that you use is just as time consuming. Now I have given all my pallet collars to somebody who is no dig and my plot will be clear for nice rotovating runs. I still get the tap rooted weeds out by hand but the annuals will get turned in. Hoeing for a few minutes a day should keep  them in hand.

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 08:29:45 »
Any thoughts on worms Ace? One chap on our site had a huge rotavator which he brought from his adjacent home.
One day I was walking down the track and there was dead worms everywhere on the route.
It appeared that the machine had chopped them up  and they had dropped off the Blades (? is that what they are called)
Up until then I had fancied a rotavator but now I don't "dig over" everywhere anymore.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 08:47:58 »
Yes, some time is spent wheeling compost but only a 40 mm layer on established beds. Less dense/heavy than strait FYM I expect you may cart to incorporate. I have ,years ago, rotovated and discovered the downsides.
For worm -lovers everywhere, I recommend this :
https://www.earthwormsoc.org.uk/earthworm-ecology

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 07:37:00 »
Didn't see any evidence of murder, apart from my mate the robin who was picking up complete worms. The ground is still pretty dry on my site so I expect most of the worms were down deeper than I was digging. I'll keep an eye open for worm casts and see if they are down  this year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal