Author Topic: Blueberry ... good variety for pot  (Read 3163 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Blueberry ... good variety for pot
« on: September 05, 2020, 22:10:26 »
Grateful for suggestions for good yield/flavour for pot-grown blueberries. Will be my first shot at this so other tips would be much appreciated. Many thanks

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Blueberry ... good variety for pot
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 22:41:33 »
I tried them once but was unsuccessful. I think my failure was simply not having a growing medium that was sufficiently acidic.

They require a very acidic and we'll drained soil. In a container I suspect the easiest approach would be to purchase a good quality ericaceous compost.  Adding sulphur might help achieve the required acidity, but I regret I have no idea on the correct dosage rate.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 23:28:50 »
I agree with Beersmith about the acidic soil it wants to be around pH of 4.5 - 5.5 although I have never tried growing in pots.

You might pick up up some ideas here;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/B/Bilberry/Bilberry.htm

Having said that the compost the compost I purchased this year which killed off most of my plants had a pH of between 5&6 so buying an ericaceous compost might achieve the results you want!

Here is some info on adjusting the pH;

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/S/Soil-pH/Soil%20pH.htm

Hope this helps!

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 08:57:01 »
Agree with all as above. When I have seen them grown commercially, in pots of about 50 litres, they are piped up with a trickle system. Good drainage and constant irrigation seems to be their method.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 18:12:51 »
I too agree with all the above, the main thing is to ensure acidic compost and grow in a large enough pot, a friend grows them in dustbins.  There used to be a lot of information online from a nursery in Dorset who both sold the plants and had a pick your own business too.  The berries were wonderful.  These days they only concentrate on the PYO side and all the growing info has disappeared from online sadly but it was basically acidic soil and rainwater only for watering if possible.  They have similar requirements to Camelias as they grew them too.

Sorry there is no link to post any more! The PYO would be useful for tasting different varieties but I think the season will be over now if you are near.  Good luck

newspud9

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 14:24:32 »
Thanks for all the helpful advice.  Another thing I picked up was the need to grow more than one to get a decent yield although it doesn't have to be the same variety.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 20:45:57 »
Hi. I’ve got three different varieties in large pots in the garden. They do really well. They’re in ericacious compost and I top this up, with slow release feed balls  and new compost every year. They like to be in moist soil but survive hen I forget to water.

I can’t tell you which ones to buy as the names of the ones I have are lost in the midst of time. I got 2 of mine In end of season sales in a local garden centre.  Give it a go!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal