Author Topic: Patty pan squash  (Read 2780 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Patty pan squash
« on: September 10, 2020, 19:35:03 »
Never bothered with these before, just another courgette with a funny shape. But this year I put in half a dozen plants and they have really produced a good crop. Not being allowed potatoes these when roasted with a few herbs and stuff have replaced the spuds on most of my dinners.  Stuffed some with a variety of fillings as well. Nice and firm when picked young not the 'wet' texture of the courgettes. Popular with the other plot holders when I leave a batch on the freebie table they are soon taken. I'll be growing them again next year.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Patty pan squash
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 21:16:42 »
Agree with you.  I have grown Golden Marbre this year.  Two plants and a huge yield.  And the consistency is really delicious.  Have also put plenty in the freezer for later.  Managed to isolate and handpollinate a couple because the seeds are a bit hard to get, so I have more seeds for further years.  These pattypans make a nice change and look fun.  :wave:

https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/squash/summer-squash/patisson-golden-marbre-scallop-squash
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 21:21:32 by galina »

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 05:55:24 »
Interesting find, Ace. Always good to have personal recommendations. Like you I’ve tended to think they’re just a bit gimmicky and not bothered with them, but now feeling inclined to try them.

It looks as though Golden Marbre in particular can also be kept as a winter squash.
Have you grown any other varieties of patty pan squash, Galina, to be able to compare taste and texture?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 07:19:35 »
Yes, the standard white one.  To be honest there is not a huge difference in flavour, but the golden yellow looks pretty :wave:

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 07:34:39 »
Have grown pattypan before, by mistake.. sold as veg spaghetti on an allotment plant stall but not eaten them... went into the "swap stop" like ACE's free table.. but you make them sound appetising enough to try them next year.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 08:28:14 »
Mine were yellow, never noticed the variety, but I would not try and keep them as a winter squash. I picked a large one this week and it needed de-seeding which we don't have to do with the hand sized ones, I thought it was a bit marrowy.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 10:27:17 »
There seems to be a golden patty pan called Sunburst which is fairly easily available in UK but it's an F1 so no chance of saving pure seed. I haven't found a UK available open pollinated one like Golden Marbre. It's perhaps the one you had, Ace. But I think you're right to hang onto your Golden Marbre seed, Galina.
Real Seeds carry a light green one called Bennings Green Tint which they claim is "one of the most beautiful varieties" - https://www.realseeds.co.uk/courgettes.html. Maybe, but I'm not yet convinced of its beauty compared with the gold.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 10:50:40 »
I've grown them for a few years now, just as an additional courgette really. As others have commented, the shape and texture is different enough to give variety.

I think I bought a packet of mixed varieties (yellow, green, white) as an experiment, we liked them but I was frustrated at not knowing which would be which. Since then, I've bought "Jaune" for yellow and "Custard White" for white (grey green really!).

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 11:56:58 »
Have grown vaious varieties of patty man squash over the last few years, but the family favourite is still Custard White  - Franchi seeds.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 14:00:02 »
Another pretty one is variegated custard marrow, white with green stripes, which is sometimes for sale in UK.

This is very old and was one of the first squashes ever to get to the old world.  I forget who painted it, but there exists a picture from one of the old masters with a variegated patty pan on it.   :wave:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 14:02:12 by galina »

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 13:29:03 »
Depending on what you can eat, I've generally assumed that sqush should be stuffed with something savoury. Spicy fillings work well as the sweetness of the squash cuts the heat of the chilli.

Mind you, I've not tried  patty pans - though this year my Sweet Dumpling Squash, which have hitherto disappointed so I sowed all the seeds to use them up, have gone nberserk and I'm harvesting the things as if they were courgettes!

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 21:09:21 »
I grow courgettes mainly because they are easy. The patty pan was easy as well. Stuffing does work well with all sorts of fillings, my favourite is veggie chillie which is put into courgette canoes. Somebody gave me a white acorn squash today which also has the name of the mash potato squash. Can't wait to try it tomorrow.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 07:09:42 »
I’ve just come across another intriguing variant, Gelber Englischer. https://www.rareseeds.com/store/vegetables/squash/summer-squash/gelber-englischer-custard-squash
It’s like a patty pan but with a kind of squashed top. Looks a bit irresistible. Available from Hungary through eBay so might not be able to resist!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 13:56:13 »
That is a most wonderful looking patty pan Jan.  No wonder your were intrigued.  Together with Yugoslavian Finger Fruit the weirdest looking around. 

Have just downloaded a couple of Golden Marbre photos from the camera.  :wave:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal