Author Topic: Space near apple trees  (Read 2096 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Space near apple trees
« on: September 01, 2020, 11:41:44 »
On my plot I have two small espalier trees, can I plan anything e.g. raspberries or spinach next to them?
Or is it best to give them some space?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Space near apple trees
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 20:35:22 »
Personally I would give them space for the first five years or so... after that I find that an under planting of primroses or Solomon's seal works well, maybe some complimentary root secretions... who knows?

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 07:02:36 »
I’d be cautious about planting raspberries near them as after a while the raspberry suckers would push up through the apple tree roots. As well as being difficult to remove they would presumably compete for water, nutrients etc.
Something shallow rooting should be fine once the espalier are established. It depends upon how favoured a position they’re in and how well they’re doing as to how soon you can plant round.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 22:12:57 »
Avoid Raspberries. As JanG said far too much risk of runners causing problems.

Worth checking the rootstock. Try to avoid anything that will compete too vigorously for moisture and nutrition if they are on dwarfing rootstock such as M27 or M9. More choice if on M106 or even more robust rootstock.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 08:53:08 »
I’d be cautious about planting raspberries near them as after a while the raspberry suckers would push up through the apple tree roots. As well as being difficult to remove they would presumably compete for water, nutrients etc.
Something shallow rooting should be fine once the espalier are established. It depends upon how favoured a position they’re in and how well they’re doing as to how soon you can plant round.
They been there for a year - so give them another year.
BTW one of them had blossom yesterday - very strange.  If any fruits form I will put them all of straight away as they will not set this year.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 19:11:32 »
BTW one of them had blossom yesterday - very strange.  If any fruits form I will put them all of straight away as they will not set this year.

It is uncommon, but a bit of blossom on Apple trees in the autumn is not unknown.

Along the same lines I spotted a small bit of blossom on my cherry tree today.  I've often wondered what causes this. As we are heading towards colder conditions and then winter there seems no way that the fruit could set and grow successfully.  Maybe spring and autumn weather is sometimes similar with mild damp conditions. Does anyone have any ideas?
Not mad, just out to mulch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal