Poll

what do you all think

plastic greenhouse
2 (50%)
glass greenhouse
2 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: its happened AGAIN  (Read 2635 times)

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
its happened AGAIN
« on: April 06, 2005, 21:00:25 »
today was really really windy and my what I thought suitably weighted down plastic greenhouse has blown over AGAIN - and all the seedlings have gone splat again  :'(  :'(  :'(   :'(
so again all the seedings have all been put in random trays and we dont know whats what

plastic greenhouse has now been adapted as a ferret cage stand  ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2005, 22:29:10 by waggi »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Re: its happened AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 21:59:48 »
Once bitten twice shy :o I'd be Bl**dy livid >:( and bent the poles into the shape of a football and kicked it into touch >:( ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 23:20:50 »
Sorry to hear that you've been struck again!  Your allotment will be full of surprises though now that your seeds have got mixed up twice. 

My sheet mulch which was weighed down with so many bricks and bags of sand and stones, plus proper metal fixing things, has all blown off and I had to retreive it from the hedge.  Yet the dainty fleece I put over a container stayed put. 

I hope you manage to retrieve all your precious seedlings and that they will come good  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

slugcatcher

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 06:54:49 »
Sorry to here its happened again to you.

I might see you Sunday if you are down at lotti.

I have an appointment with Ken and Simon

Ron
Dont screw up the best things in life cos you dont know who you are, or where you are going !!

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 08:47:31 »
u prob will see us then  ;D

Ken is really nice - we are near gate 3 and kind of follow the big hedge - look for a landi and collies - although i do go down on a wednesday with a collie on my own (no landi)

come and say HI

yes we will have a good mixture of seedling - dont have a clue as to what is what - now - could be flowers could be peas  ;D could even be sunflowers you would have thought i would have learnt from last time

helen

uhhh slugcatcher Ron - the offer is still there about seedlings - we have loads but they could be anything - and we have loads of carrot seeds, parsnips, etc etc so dont go and buy anything!!!!!!!  ;D uhhh exept a good fork

xxx

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 09:37:13 »
Oh dear waggi, poor you!  :'( :'(

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday  :'( :'( :'(

All my poor little tommys and sweetcorns and leeks  :'( :'( :'(

Everything got up-ended pretty much, but managed to save some toms, I think they are all the same type so not much problems there. I think I saved most of the loo-roll sown sweetcorn too.

Main problem is the spuds were in there chitting, and now home guard is mixed up with pentland dell, and the 4 varieties I got from the potato day  :'( :'( And the purple leeks that nikkrudd so kindly swapped with me were all over the place  :'( :'(

Oh well, still time to re-sow. Have now weighed down bottom of greenhouse with a big bag of compost.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Plottie

• Half Acre
  • MMM , Raspberries !!!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2005, 10:20:59 »
Oh dear waggi how frustrating for you  >:(...try to think positve ...it'll be a real voyage of adventure for you this year, discovering what's what as it all comes up!  :-\

Plottie   :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2005, 12:41:49 »
If you see discarded sand bags by roadworks (after the road crews have finished obviously) go and collect em up.  Our gardening group is always having to tidy up after road work gangs so we deserve something for our trouble and we're cleaning up our environment at the same time.  The bags make good weights for the lotty.  We have a very light garden frame which we need to sandbag  :)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2005, 21:55:01 »
You could either...
'A' throw a couple of lengths of nylon rope over the greenhouse and tie down like guide ropes on a tent, or...
'B' puncture a small hole in the plastic in four corners where the eaves join the side walls and tie your guide ropes from each corner, as long as your ground pegs are big and strong it ain't going to go anywhere. ;)

*Joanne*

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2005, 22:24:25 »
Same thing happened to me today lost 72 seedling my seed house just went over. :-[
I would like to be a glow-worm.
A glow-worm's never glum.
Its hard to be downhearted
When the sun shines out your bum.

Joanne

flower

• Half Acre
  • loves music almost as much as plants
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2005, 22:26:39 »
good point roy was thinking along the same lines myself when i saw the thread :)
i am an angel really honest  wink wink

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2005, 09:47:19 »
stupid plastic green house thing - i have took it to pieces and using it as ferret cage stand now - with shelving - very usefull  ;D

i suppose i should have secured it better BUT it had loads and loads of shoes in the bottom AND 2 massive bags of compost - and it still blew over  :'(

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 10:39:02 »
Ferret 1 - Waggi 0  ;D ;D ;D

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2005, 17:34:12 »
Hi Waggi,

My allotment neighbours have their big plastic greenhouse frame fixed to six stakes pushed into  the soil inside the greenhouse. The stakes come about half way up in the corners and middle of the longest side. It hasn`t moved an inch.

Meanwhile the corrugated plastic roof of my half built (wood and hard plastic) potting shed is now tied down with rope and has all the wood and metal I can find heaped on it as it was lifting in the wind.

They seem to have hit on a solution to this problem.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2005, 22:27:44 »
i think now i am going to save up and look for a glass greenhouse
what do you all think worth saveing for
 ???

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal