Author Topic: Perlite  (Read 2434 times)

lezelle

• Acre
Perlite
« on: August 11, 2020, 09:50:03 »
Hi Ya, Having just watched Monty Don on gardeners world I saw him using perlite to root cuttings. I have seen most mix the perlite in compost but he used it all on it's own to root cuttings, Has any one done the same?, Did it work ok< is there a better way to do it? I am interested as I was so impressed I am considering going and buying some to try. any advice is most welcome especially as most seem to mix in their compost and having heard and read some horror stories about the compost we buy and the compost provided to retail being of better quality the perlite made me think. Thanks.

gray1720

• Hectare
Re: Perlite
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 13:02:33 »
I guess that at the start all they need is water, which the perlite will hold better than soil?
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 14:06:36 »
I was intrigued by this too as I've found mixing perlite with compost just means you end up with a lot of floating perlite above the compost.

I found the info on this link interesting and will give it a go as I have a tub or perlite sitting doing nothing - https://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-root-plant-perlite-67662.html
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 15:17:15 »
I haven't sown seeds directly into neat perlite but I have taken cuttings!

All they need is sterile medium that holds moisture and perlite does that quite well.

Think of it this way; Lots of people chit seeds on a piece of kitchen towel what is the difference?

The paper acts as the sterile medium that holds moisture.

In the case of seeds the endosperm takes care off everything until the roots/cotyledons break out of the seed shell /coat.

All you have to do is supply the necessary moisture and temperature.

I agree mostly when  gray mentions "guess that at the start all they need is water, which the perlite will hold better than soil?"

But getting sterile soil might be a bit more problematic!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal