Author Topic: tomato trusses breaking off  (Read 2147 times)

Galette

• Quarter Acre
tomato trusses breaking off
« on: July 31, 2020, 18:38:04 »
Hi folks.  I have such a heavy crop of outdoor tomatoes that the trusses are beginning to break off the plant.  The fruit is still mainly green at the moment so they have to survive on the plant for some time yet.  Any hints on how to support them?  I have tried tying them to a leaf higher up the stem with garden twine but I think they are going to 'fold' and then snap.

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
Re: tomato trusses breaking off
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 20:11:43 »
Hi Galette, I've had the same issue in past years, and after trying and failing with twine, I bought a packet of truss clips. They prevent the fold/kink.

https://www.wholesale.molesseeds.co.uk/sundries/truss-clip-zsn350

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 22:19:21 »
Thanks Vetivert, what an innovative product!  I will be sending away for some, can they be reused year after year ?

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 07:31:54 »
Two garden canes and an old item of ladies underwear tied up between them?

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 11:09:02 »
Thanks for the suggestion Pumpkinlover, my neighbours would find that hilarious - they already think I'm a bit nutty!!

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 17:45:40 »
can they be reused year after year ?
Yes, they're made of sturdy plastic.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 12:04:12 »
I use a cane framework, and support heavy crops withpieces cut to size from old tights/stockings. These have a bit of stretch and are less severe on the fruits. A "truss for a truss" you might say  :laughing4:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 22:24:39 »
This is a good idea.  I haven't had such a heavy crop for years and just wasn't prepared for the weight of fruit. I will bear this in mind for next year. Thank you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal