Author Topic: Raspberry problems  (Read 2694 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Raspberry problems
« on: August 17, 2020, 16:38:39 »
Two years in a row I have planted raspberries and they have died - didn't even sprout.
I wonder if the problem is that the soil is quite heavy clay.  Could I add organic matter and gravel?
I did plant quite close to blackberries could that be part of the problem?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Raspberry problems
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 17:10:34 »
Because I don't know how you prepared your  beds it is difficult to assess where your problem/s might be.

This is how I usually grew my plants!

Have a read of it then get back to the forum with possible answers/suggestions then between us we might be able to help you out for the future!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/R/Raspberry/Raspberries.htm

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 17:19:55 »
I have to say that I didn't do much, just dug it - the same time as I planted them and added compost.
In my defence I have done that in the past (somewhere different) and it worked

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 18:41:49 »
Were your plants 'Bare Rooted or Containerised when you got them?

If bare rooted did you soak the roots for a while before planting?

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 09:40:15 »
First time bare rooted, second containerised and I did soak them for about 20 minutes each time IIRC.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 14:28:29 »
You have me stumped now although I would have to admit that generally over the last couple of years I too have had my problems, I'm putting my problems down to the weather patterns we have had over the last few years, in particular the 'mild' winters!

I am getting the feeling that like me, many indigenous plants don't like it either!

Again like me they were bred to cope with the 'Infamous British Weather' and don't like this non-seasonal weather, in fact; this weather sometimes makes me 'wilt a bit' but that I will put down to 'old age' :crybaby2:

I wonder if the problem is that the soil is quite heavy clay.  Could I add organic matter and gravel?

You can only but try!

Don't know ! But I wouldn't have thought so, but if in doubt try planting them elsewhere!

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Lets see if anyone else has any ideas/experience!

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 14:33:45 »
You have me stumped now although I would have to admit that generally over the last couple of years I too have had my problems, I'm putting my problems down to the weather patterns we have had over the last few years, in particular the 'mild' winters!

I am getting the feeling that like me, many indigenous plants don't like it either!

Again like me they were bred to cope with the 'Infamous British Weather' and don't like this non-seasonal weather, in fact; this weather sometimes makes me 'wilt a bit' but that I will put down to 'old age' :crybaby2:

You can only but try!

Don't know ! But I wouldn't have thought so, but if in doubt try planting them elsewhere!

Sorry I can't be of more help!

Lets see if anyone else has any ideas/experience!

You have been very helpful.  I agree with you about the hot weather recently - but fortunately it is more typical today.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 14:49:51 »
I suspect they don't like your heavy clay so I would go ahead and add in plenty of very well-rotted manure but also some less nutritious garden compost and some grit to lighten the soil and open the structure.   They like it moisture retentive but well-drained and not alkaline.

This is what the RHS advises - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/raspberries#grow

we grow them here where climate change has meant some heatwaves and drought at different times of year and different lengths of time and the raspberries do  OK but not as lush as we had in Belgium or Harrow.  Heat and drought do make a difference to quality but we do still get a crop for desserts.  Not enough for jam but that's OK as we hardly eat any bread so don't need a lot of jam.
Obxx - Vendée France

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 14:54:06 »
I suspect they don't like your heavy clay so I would go ahead and add in plenty of very well-rotted manure but also some less nutritious garden compost and some grit to lighten the soil and open the structure.   They like it moisture retentive but well-drained and not alkaline.

This is what the RHS advises - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/grow-your-own/fruit/raspberries#grow

we grow them here where climate change has meant some heatwaves and drought at different times of year and different lengths of time and the raspberries do  OK but not as lush as we had in Belgium or Harrow.  Heat and drought do make a difference to quality but we do still get a crop for desserts.  Not enough for jam but that's OK as we hardly eat any bread so don't need a lot of jam.
Thanks - personally a) I could eat a massive amount of raspberries so would never make jam and b) bread is for marmite!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 15:33:31 »
Must admit we prefer them fresh for dessert but 2 years ago we had enough to make raspberry coulis for pouring on ice cream.

Been dieting since just before the start of lockdown in March so no ice cream for me. 

I do occasionally get a yen for some Marmite on toast but generally prefer my sliced wholemeal for a proper bacon butty and home made wholemeal soda bread for soups.
Obxx - Vendée France

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 15:36:04 »
Must admit we prefer them fresh for dessert but 2 years ago we had enough to make raspberry coulis for pouring on ice cream.

Been dieting since just before the start of lockdown in March so no ice cream for me. 

I do occasionally get a yen for some Marmite on toast but generally prefer my sliced wholemeal for a proper bacon butty and home made wholemeal soda bread for soups.
Either you have lost a lot of weight or it is not going well.  I hope the former.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 16:05:12 »
9 kilos over 5 months.  Taking it slow and steady and planning for it to be permanent, not yo-yo.  I'm allowed wine or ice cream at the weekend but not both.  Wine wins.
Obxx - Vendée France

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 17:30:36 »
My raspberries are in clay soil in front of blackberries (and behind gooseberries and next to rhubarb) with trees beginning to shade them too much but they have been fruiting well up to now. This year they have not been so good but I think that is due to the dry weather (they don't get much watering from me). But when I replant wanderers into a gap in the row, I do find they need some tlc to get established.

So I suggest improving the soil as others have said and keep them well-watered.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2020, 21:20:00 »
My own laziness has done got my raspberry bed this year which us on clay soil but was well manured. I didn’t keep on top of weeding the bed and couch got a firm hold on the whole bed. Being shallow rooted weeding between the plants probably did damage and the drought did the rest. I’m resigned to starting again and will make a new bed over the winter!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2020, 21:36:49 »
I think it's very difficult to keep raspberries weed-free after a while, and I'm not convinced it's necessary after the first three or four years. As you say, Deb P, the weed roots get completely bound up with the raspberry roots and trying to get them out can do much more harm than good. I suppose in an ideal world, weeding could be done so often that perennial weeds wouldn't get established, but I've never got anywhere near that after the the initial care while they get established.

But that's for established beds. In the meantime, the very best of luck with your next improved beds, Deb P and Davholla!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2020, 23:48:55 »
I think it's very difficult to keep raspberries weed-free after a while . . .

Time spent carefully removing perennial weeds when you start will pay back tenfold.  I reckon it took me five full seasons to eliminate perennial weeds from my plots.  Hard work but worth it in the end.  Apart from a few straggling bits bindweed that creeps in one corner from a neighbouring plot I now only have to worry about annuals. They're bad enough!!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 22:17:17 »
I bought a batch of raspberries from T&M many years ago and they died all except one.  I got a refund.  About 9 years later that single plant has spread and I now have about 12 canes, and this year it has produced lots of fruit, a particular large fruiter.  In the past it has been rather dry, but we had rain just at the right moment and they fatten up.
I never knew why the others died, normally everything grows well on my plot.   But they are now riddled with  stinging nettles which I do not seem to be able to shift.
My question would be what did you grow in that patch before the raspberries? 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal