Author Topic: Seed germination problems  (Read 2238 times)

davholla

• Hectare
Seed germination problems
« on: July 21, 2020, 11:34:11 »
In the last 18 months I have tried germinating the following
1) Turnips in the ground 0%
2) Turnips on tissue paper 0%
3) Parsnips in soil in toilet paper 0%
4) Kale in soil on the windowsill 0%
5) Sweetcorn 0
6) Sunflower 1
7) Physalis from a fruit  -1 which died when I planted it out.

Is there some trick that I am missing?
I was hoping to plant turnips again soon.

cudsey

• Half Acre
Re: Seed germination problems
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 18:43:24 »
I sowed sweetcorn seeds into individual pots about mid April then planted them straight in the ground when they were about 3 ins high    and parsnips I always sow them into a raised bed which had been topped up with fresh compost and they seem to be fine I dont grow turnips or kale       
Barnsley S Yorks

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 06:01:00 »
As we don't know exactly how you do it, it is a bit difficult to give straight answers.  You don't have a slug problem on tissue paper, so unless you made it too wet, like dripping or puddling wet, germination should be easy.  Turnips, like all brassica come up within 4 to 6 days.  Have you looked at your seed packets?  Reputable source, in date?

Turnips sown directly into prepared ground may need covering, because flea beetles can destroy the lot, but that happens after they have germinated and you can see the holes appearing in the tiny seedlings. 

Think in terms of seeds, too wet or too dry, sown too deeply maybe and slugs and other beasties getting them before you even see they have germinated.  Indoors should work much better because you do not have the beasties problem, that just leaves the seeds or watering problems.  Better luck soon.  :wave:

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 09:23:05 »
Sorry for the lack of replies, for the turnip seeds I put on tissue paper.
All the rest were on soil, I sprayed them every day but they were not soaking wet.
The source of all of them was either Wilkos or Dobbies.
They were all in very good light and on the surface of the soil.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 09:35:42 »
Is that tissue paper, as in toilet tissue (absorbent) or tissue paper as used for present wrapping?  The former works just fine, that latter not as it does not absorb water.  For seed germination, wet tissue once, let the drops run off, sow seeds on top, fold in half and into a freezer bag to keep the moisture in.  Check for germination every day after 3 days.  Parsnips can take 2 weeks easily before they germinate.  Another way is wetted but not dripping toilet tissue inside a plastic fast food container with its lid shut.  I use that for old seeds, any that still germinate I take out and put into modules.

For brassica, sow into pots with very little soil to barely cover the seeds, sit pot on a saucer.  Water into saucer, not pot and allow pot to suck up water from the saucer.  Water into saucer if dry.  If no success after 5 days, doubt the seed.  :wave:

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 14:23:22 »
Turnips in ground - fantastic germination rate - success in root crop? nil

Parsnips in toilet rolls? 20 out of 25 germinated - after 5 weeks.  now in hte ground and seemingly OK (will wait to see if they bifurcated)

Swedes? massive germination rate.  Success in root crop - nil.

Beetroot? various - seem to be doing OK - but we don't really like beetroot
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

bridbod

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 12:09:45 »
Still time to sow turnips this season IMHO. If I were doing it, I'd sow directly into soil in the usual mini trench method. Drop a seed in maybe about every couple of inches, no more than a centimetre deep, then cover with fine soil. If the soil in the bottom of the trench/drill is really dry, then dribble some water down and sow on the dampened soil (then cover).
If you have any doubt as to whether the seed is viable(alive), the damp loo paper/kitchen paper in a tupperware box method as Gallina described is a brilliant way to determine this.
I use any el cheapo white kitchen roll, dampen,(seeds shouldn't be swimming), pop maybe half a dozen turnip  seeds  on the damp tissue, pop the lid on, leave somewhere at room temp and within say ten days, check for germination.
If these indoor "test" seeds germinate fine then the ones sown outside should soon be appearing above ground.

Pop the opened seed packet, sealed with a bit of selotape (assuming some seeds are left), in a plastic tub/bag and pop in the fridge (NOT freezer), Helps to keep those pricey seeds alive until next season.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 18:30:05 »
I was rather short of seeds this year due to the garden centre closing.  So I planted all sorts of very old seeds and was amazed about the germinating. 
Kale is a weed for me, and seems to pop up everywhere. 
I tend to check that there is going to be a sunny day a few days after I sow brassicas so they do not rot off.
I use kitchen roll, cheapest.  I got a more expensive variety and a lot of the seeds rotted. 
I have finally got it together with carrots seeds.  I make a small groove and sow the seeds into the and then gently water.  I do not cover them.  Then once they are growing well I earth them up, or even better earth them up with coffee grounds.
I wonder if you are sowing everything too deep.  I think a lot seeds like light to germinate.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal