Author Topic: Thankyou allotment  (Read 2415 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Thankyou allotment
« on: July 13, 2020, 12:22:02 »
Saved my sanity this year, the only remnant of my former activities. No pubs no Folk clubs no morris dancing, no folk festivals and no weekends away in the motorhome. Spent a lot of time working on my sanctuary. Lock down turned to mock down, but never made any difference to my daily activities, trouble is all the beach lovers, demonstrators, and those who do not really think there is a pandemic have kept putting my cataract op back by keeping the bug going. Still at least the doc has stopped sending me to the stupid Well Man clinics and finding something else wrong with me. Never been so healthy. :icon_cheers:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Thankyou allotment
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 13:11:35 »
Same for us Ace.  Both healthy, happy, fitter and slimmer for being confined to and busy in the garden and a bit of house stuff too.   Still no group activities for me tho OH has been able to go and play golf again for a month now.   We could go out to the beach or shops/bars/restaurants but we're avoiding all the coastal hotspots now that the tourists have arrived.   They're less respectful of rules like masks in shops, distancing, one way pedestrian systems.....   
Obxx - Vendée France

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 07:30:57 »
Hi Ya, With you ACE. I am in the at risk due to a major operation that went wrong and block artery, my hip is painfull and I have overdone it by kneeling and walking and suffered, but I still have my allotment and I can isolate there and talk to others at a good distance. I to would of flipped my lid if not for the plot. Happy Gardening

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 11:29:02 »
The lottie and the garden have certainly helped with my sanity  - though in my case it's been keeping it at its usual low level through stressful work shifts (cut the hero stuff, General Melchett got closer to the front line than me).

Oxford is like an alien world at the mo - the only times I've ever seen it this empty have been December midnights and at 5am.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 13:28:26 »
Same for me my garden and allotment plus two dogs have kept me going,the other half is high risk due to having her lymph nodes removed when she had cancer,so on the 14th of May after my employer kindly offered me paid leave enabling me to shield my wife, I started 10 weeks of avoiding as many folk as possible....a once a week trip to the local supermarket was about my lot,so my allotment as been a god send..the better half as not been allowed out at all so my walks down to the plot with the dogs have kept me safe  :violent1:as the wife went slowly stir crazy!! Went back to work Monday what a shock to the system that was,as you know I work on the trams cannot believe how many folk are not wearing masks when traveling with us and now he pubs are open well...... :occasion14:  :icon_puke_l:

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 15:11:14 »
I wear a mask in local coop. Nice to get out, wear a mask noone wants another outbreak of virus.  If it doesnt work it is no great hardship. 3 months in with OH much as I love him is too much, should have kept the allotment. He does all the housework., must be bored but he is driving me mad, telling me I do everything wrong, and taken over the garden. Moan for today over.

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 08:53:40 »
Same for me my garden and allotment plus two dogs have kept me going,the other half is high risk due to having her lymph nodes removed when she had cancer,so on the 14th of May after my employer kindly offered me paid leave enabling me to shield my wife, I started 10 weeks of avoiding as many folk as possible....a once a week trip to the local supermarket was about my lot,so my allotment as been a god send..the better half as not been allowed out at all so my walks down to the plot with the dogs have kept me safe  :violent1:as the wife went slowly stir crazy!! Went back to work Monday what a shock to the system that was,as you know I work on the trams cannot believe how many folk are not wearing masks when traveling with us and now he pubs are open well...... :occasion14:  :icon_puke_l:

I'm really glad to hear from you frogslegs as I remember you saying that you worked on the trams and was concerened for you. I suppose in many ways it is safer than the buses because the passengers don't come as close to you, so I hope that keeps you and your family safe.

We drove through Matlock Bath on Monday after  a walk and was amazed, that was a real eye opener. To anyone who doesn't know it is a small town in the middle of the Peak district which is like a seaside town with amusement arcades, umpteen fish and chip shops it's really quite bazzare.  It's on the motorbike circuit and all the plump middle aged bikers get off their bikes and walk the ten yard to the cafe's.
 Well on a damp Monday it was absolutly heaving so goodness knows what it is like at weekends. If there isn't a covid peak in Matlock Bath I will be surprised.

Froglegs

• Hectare
  • Nottinghamshire.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 13:45:25 »
Thanks Pumpkinlover,unfortunately I'm a inspector so have a lot of interaction with the public! The majority of folk are complying to the guidelines...keeping a safe distance and wearing masks,it's the morons that blatantly think the guidelines doesn't apply to them that's the problem , plus now the pubs and clubs are back open that's just added to the problems ....stabbing in a city center Spoons last night!!

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 14:02:50 »
It seems that Covid has brought out the best in some people and the worst in others.
My neighbour works in retail and it's been horrible at times he says.
Take care for you and your wifes sake. 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2020, 08:52:15 »
I have been incredibly lucky throughout this and it is easy to forget that for others things have not been so rosy.
I have a house with front and back garden and access to two allotment sites.  I have been working from home and there is lots of DIY work to do there as well to get the it ship shape for renting out so I haven't had time to worry too much.  The ability to get out to the plots, talk to mates and do what I love to do has been such a pleasure but I do feel for those stuck indoors with large families in flats...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 17:50:56 »
We now have a big waiting list and the other allotment in the town has an even longer one. People have realised  that these sites and owning a plot is the way to go when the second coming arrives. It will only be a local lockdown for most as the government's thinking is keep the hotspots under control like a game of whack a mole.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 19:18:27 »
Personally I prefer "splat the rat" especially in the context of politicians!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal