Author Topic: How many.............................  (Read 5149 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: How many.............................
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2005, 12:51:25 »
Swedes and turnips.  Swedes don't even bother to germinate and turnips germinate, then struggle and eventually die.  Think I pulled about 3 last year, and they were all riddled with holes!!  Carrots can be patchy but am sowing so many rows this year I HAVE to get some!  Basil germinates, then either grows like the clappers, or all dies.

Terrance, angelica I can grow!  I grew some from seed last spring and it looked wonderful in my garden.  I let it flower and set seed, which is distributed exactly where I wanted it to, and already it is a foot high and lush!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2005, 13:01:15 »
Terrance, angelica I can grow!  I grew some from seed last spring and it looked wonderful in my garden.  I let it flower and set seed, which is distributed exactly where I wanted it to, and already it is a foot high and lush!

boo hoo!
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2005, 08:45:39 »
It's too soon to tell. I'm only really in my second serious season (after three years of dabbling previously). Last year - everything failed. But I blame the weather. My biggest disappointment was the parsnips. they did a grand total of nothing. And I love them. Oh and the fennel bolted. I will sow both later this year...

If your fennel bolted then you probably won't have to sow any more - it'll have self-sown (unless you cut off the flower heads when you saw them!) and you'll be digging it up for years!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2005, 09:09:30 »
Glad to see it is not just me then! I had another thought, for some reason lettuces and I do not get on either!  But I too am doing the EJ method and throwing so many carrots and lettuces in, something has to turn up! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2005, 19:17:45 »
How disheartening these posts are. For me it must be anythin sown in the ghouse- I leave them there and forget to water them. Although ive found mushrooms growing on my cappiliary matting ::) maybe thats a new method ??? not sure where they came from- eat em or smoke em?
I LOVE OP AMPS!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2005, 22:45:19 »
Och these purists eh.  Mebbe they're not hungry enough  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2005, 22:56:55 »
Onions due to white rot.
Brassica due to clubroot.
Tomatoes due to blight.

Hahahaha, what a happy lottie.

On the bright side.
Blight resistant tomatoes are doing well, they did get a little but it was manageable and I'm getting good harvests. Not like the non-resistant tomatoes where, as soon as they get infected, the blight spread like wild fire before getting hardly any harvest.
This year I'm going to try clubroot resistant broccoli. I will still take precautions like starting early in pots until they have a good sized rootball and then planting in compost with lime.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2005, 21:01:08 »
Just be patient.

It seems that at the flush of 'apparent' Spring, everyone rushes out and what do you achieve -- LITTLE or NOWT.

There's still plenty of time. I'm still digging! The ground is still cold.

HOLD HARD!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2005, 22:46:19 »
Cannot grow spinach for love nor money.  Having one last try this season...

Last year's sweetcorn was not a great success, but it just rained and rained here so maybe not a great surprise.
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2005, 10:01:29 »
[ My biggest disappointment was the parsnips. they did a grand total of nothing. And I love them.

I use Dobies primed seed,never fails .....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal