Author Topic: Elephant garlic  (Read 1570 times)

pumkinlover

Elephant garlic
« on: July 12, 2020, 14:12:56 »
 :icon_cheers: :blob7: :toothy10:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Elephant garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 15:17:43 »
Looking good and nice size.  When did you plant this, it is trying to shoot already?   :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 18:27:30 »
Last spring. I only realised last year that they are not ready the year they are planted.
As I buy them at potato day in January I planted them and dig them up in June time thinking that I had wasted my money!  So last year I left them in until today. Really pleased as they looked miserable and I struggle anyway with alliums.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 19:18:27 »
They should be ready this time next year if you plant in October.  I also sometimes get 'rounds' and they need another year, but mostly they divide into cloves.  :wave:

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 08:13:23 »
I planted 30 Elephant Garlic this year but lost some to white rot. These are part of what is left drying on the trees back at home

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 08:37:06 »
That looks a good crop. Have you eaten any yet, I hear that they are a milder garlic taste?

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 19:40:43 »
Re: Pumpkinlover
Yes they are milder than normal garlic but a favourite with my wife as they are easier to peel. I dropped  a clanger when I harvested them as there were a couple of Solo Movobulbs that had not split into cloves . I gave them to my wife to use first not realising that if you set them come October time they make really huge garlic the following year. Having read about them I looked through the rest of the crop and found another one which I will plant when I plant the rest of the garlic and see how it goes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal